From: Silver Screen

Valentine’s Day Weekend Watchlist: Movies to get you feeling the love

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, the time of year to binge cheesy rom-coms and sappy romantic dramas has come. Whether you have a movie date with a special someone or just want to get in the Valentine’s Day spirit, these films celebrate the highs and lows of love and romance. 

The Big Sick (2017)

“The Big Sick” stars Kumail Nanjiani as an up-and-coming Pakistani comedian. After a chance encounter, he ends up in an unlikely romantic relationship with a graduate student named Emily (Zoe Kazan). When Emily suddenly falls ill and must be put in a coma, Nanjiani reckons with his priorities and identity as he attempts to care for Emily and be there for her family. 

Based on Nanjiani’s own experience meeting his wife, the film teeters the line between comedy and drama, mixing laughs and heartfelt moments to keep audiences invested in the pair’s budding romance. 

“The Big Sick” is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video now. 

Palm Springs (2020)

“Palm Springs” is easily one of the most creative romantic comedies to date, incorporating the “Groundhog Day” time loop motif. Cynical bridesmaid Sarah (Cristin Milioti) gets stuck reliving her sister’s wedding day over and over again with another guest named Nyles (Andy Samberg). Initially disenchanted with love, the two begin to make light of their situation together, leading to a unique relationship that makes both characters reconsider their own choices and live life to the fullest.  

The incredible cast is the core of this movie. Milioti and Samberg share undeniable chemistry that manages to turn a goofy rom-com into a real and believable portrait of love as the two learn to overcome their emotional baggage and become vulnerable again. 

“Palm Springs” is available to stream on Hulu now. 

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

“Call Me By Your Name” is a wistful story of young love and intimacy. Set in rural Italy, the film follows Elio (Timothée Chalamet), an artsy 17-year-old who meets a young man named Oliver (Armie Hammer) after he comes to stay at Elio’s house for the summer, working under his father. The two grow increasingly close and begin a secret, passionate love affair. Masterfully shot and acted, the film depicts sensuality and longing with nuance and grace.

“Call Me By Your Name” is available to rent on Amazon Prime Video now. 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

For those looking for a break from cheesy romantic comedies, “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is both an ingenious deconstruction of relationships and a mind-bending science fiction film. The movie centers around the awkward but sweet Joel (Jim Carrey) who inadvertently learns that his ex-girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet), used a scientific procedure to completely erase her memories of him. Out of hurt and anger he decides to do the same, but immediately regrets it. Joel then embarks on a quest to retain his memories of his former flame, leading to a beautiful and realistic exploration of human emotion, love and the pain that comes with it.

“Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video now. 

Little Women (2019)

Greta Gerwig’s “Little Women” adapts the book of the same name, exploring the lives and relationships of the March sisters. Set in 1800s Massachusetts, the period piece follows the sisters’ struggles with sexism and family tragedy, held together by their undying support for one another. 

Perfect for Valentine’s or Galentine’s Day celebrations, the film, which has been recreated many times, is equal parts romance and drama, showing the romantic trials of the sisters and tributing love and camaraderie between the group. 

“Little Women” is available to buy on Amazon Prime Video now. 

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

Meeting your significant other’s parents is always daunting, but “Crazy Rich Asians” takes the nerves to the next level. Rachel Chu (Constance Wu), an economics professor who was raised by a single mother, gets more than she bargained for after finding out that her boyfriend, Nick Young (Henry Golding), is actually a member of one of the richest families in Singapore. While attending a family wedding, their relationship is put to the test as Rachel tries to overcome the disapproval of Nick’s mother, Eleanor (Michelle Yeoh). 

Decadent and bright, this film’s vibrant, visual style is sure to impress. Every shot is filled with color and life. However, the real heart of “Crazy Rich Asians” is the complex family and relationship dynamics portrayed masterfully by the cast, particularly Wu and Yeoh. 

“Crazy Rich Asians” is available to stream on HBO Max Now. 

bhobbs@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen