From: Silver Screen

REVIEW: ‘tick, tick...BOOM!’ is a brilliant musical tribute to its creator

This review contains spoilers from “tick, tick…BOOM!”

The words “Stop the clock” are the first thing you hear when Andrew Garfield begins singing the opening number, “30/90,” from “tick, tick… BOOM!

It’s a fitting request as we are introduced to the real-life story of Jonathan Larson (Garfield) in 1990; a brilliant musical theater writer who, nonetheless, is on the verge of turning 30 with nothing to show for his career. He references Stephen Sondheim and Paul McCartney, both of whom have achieved towering successes before that milestone age, before he begins singing the rousing opening lament for his youth. It’s the story of an artist both ahead of his time and running out of it.

As the movie progresses, we learn why Larson is in such a rush. He has been working on his original, dystopian rock opera, “Superbia,” for over eight years, and so far has been unable to convince any investor, no matter how minor, to give him a shot. He can feel both his career and youth slipping away, which only makes him more anxious to capitalize on an upcoming workshop that his agent has arranged for him. Throughout the duration of the film, we follow him through the week leading up to that workshop through the narration and musical numbers that Larson composed.

“tick, tick… BOOM!” is the passion project of director Lin-Manuel Miranda. After seeing a stage production of “tick, tick…BOOM!” as a teenager, Miranda was inspired and began to start writing his own musical based on his life experiences, which would eventually become the hit show and film “In the Heights.” 

In addition, the subject matter of a talented but struggling writer is not unfamiliar territory for the director. Miranda had already created an international sensation by directing and starring in “Hamilton: An American Musical,” where he plays a character who echoes many of the fears of being left behind and out of time that Larson does throughout the movie. The dynamic directing and camera movements make it clear that Miranda understands the innate rhythm of the music, and knows how to use cinematic directing and editing to build on that momentum and make it soar.

This brings us to the film’s star, Garfield, who embodies Jonathan Larson as if he lived right alongside him in the 1990s. He perfectly walks the line between Larson’s live-wire stage presence as well as showing his manic, bohemian personal life. Garfield is enjoying himself and it shows — his enthusiasm is infectious, which makes the happy moments happier and the darkest moments that much more touching. 

And while the caliber of acting may not have been a surprise as Garfield is both an Oscar-nominated actor and Tony Award winner, what might be surprising is how great a singer he proves to be. Despite both the variety of genres of music and the demanding nature of the songs, Garfield not only holds his weight against more experienced musical performers — such as Vanessa Hudgens — but excels. 

By the end of the film, we have been treated to more than a dozen memorable songs, but “tick, tick...BOOM!” has more to offer than just infectious music. One particular cast member who shines in a small role is Bradley Whitford as the recently deceased Stephen Sondheim. The coincidental timing of this film's release with his death makes Sondheim’s brief cameo, as his own voice through a telephone, even more emotionally impactful. In a film that ends with the untimely departure of its protagonist, who Sondheim mentored, you can’t help but also feel immense sadness for the loss of a towering giant of musical genius. 

But despite the grim ending, “tick, tick...BOOM!” wastes no time wallowing in grief. Instead, it serves as a moving, musical tribute to the effervescent energy that Jonathan Larson embodied in life. He was no tragic figure; he was an artist who ended, as this film does, with a deafening boom.

“tick, tick… BOOM!” is available to stream on Netflix now. 

life@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen