From: Silver Screen

College students can watch ‘Promising Young Woman’ free on Thursday

(L to R) Actor Carey Mulligan, writer / director Emerald Fennell, actor Laverne Cox, and actor Bo Burnham on the set of PROMSING YOUNG WOMAN, a Focus Features release.

Focus Features is partnering with the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) to provide free screenings of the 2020 movie “Promising Young Woman” on Thursday to all college students.

There will be screenings at 7 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. EST for students to participate in. Students can RSVP to the screening time of their choice on Campus Circle’s website

Following the screening of the film, there will be a conversation between Carey Mulligan and Emerald Fennell, moderated by Laverne Cox. Cox and Mulligan both star in the film, and Fennell wrote and directed it.

The film was nominated for five Academy Awards and six BAFTAs. It won “Best Original Screenplay” and “Outstanding British Film” in the 2021 BAFTA Awards. 

The film centers on Cassie (Mulligan), a young woman who is seeking retribution after going through a traumatic experience with sexual assault as a student.

“‘Promising Young Woman’ is a dynamic and unique feminist revenge tale, complete with great characters that will knock you out of your seat,” Campus Circle publisher Joy Calisoff said in a press release. 

RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, and Campus Circle is a free alternative newspaper based in Los Angeles. These organizations joined together to offer this event to students in order to open up conversations about sexual assault and violence on college campuses. 

According to statistics on RAINN’s website, 13 percent of all students experience sexual assault while at school. For undergraduate students, about 26 percent of females and just under 7 percent of males experience some kind of sexual assault.

Heather Drevna, a RAINN spokesperson, said that “Promising Young Woman” focuses on the many important facets of the conversation around sexualt assault. 

"Sexual violence can affect not only the survivor, but the people and communities around them,” Drevna said in a press release. “‘Promising Young Woman’ has sparked important conversations about the cultural response to sexual assault, healing, justice and bystander accountability.”

When RSVPing, students will be directed to create an account on the Focus Features website with their student email address. Those who RSVP will receive a link to screen the film an hour before the time slot they registered for. 

Even with the reservation, access to the free screening is not guaranteed. There are limited spots available in each screening, and those interested in viewing the screening will be let in on a first come, first served basis. 

RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country. If you experience sexual assault and are looking for guidance, their hotline is (800) 656-4673.

ggeorge@theeagleonline.com 

More from Silver Screen