From: Silver Screen

‘I Feel Pretty’ teaches us to love (and laugh at) ourselves

Despite the fact she was not involved in the direction, writing or production of this movie, the role of Renee in “ I Feel Pretty” was made for Amy Schumer. “I Feel Pretty” relays a positive message about self-love in a funny and relatable way. It is not particularly inspiring or empowering, but Schumer’s character shows that confidence is everything.

Renee is a New Yorker in her mid-30s who struggles with confidence, constantly wishing that she were undeniably beautiful. The day after she wishes for a perfect face and body, she falls in her spin class and the resulting head injury causes her to see herself in her dream body. Renee’s outer appearance, however, does not change at all. The rest of the movie follows Renee as she faces life with a new, self-assured attitude that lands her her dream job, a promotion and a loving boyfriend.

While Schumer did not stray far from her usual character type, her performance as the rambunctious Renee was still notable. Michelle Williams, however, was almost unrecognizable in her role as Renee’s boss, Avery Le Claire Williams stepped out of her comfort zone for this role and was excellent as the Barbie-esque head of the makeup company Lilly Le Claire.  

“I Feel Pretty” is not as raunchy or sexual as Schumer’s typical comedy. It is relatable and reachable for all audiences. For women, it is a familiar story about the struggle of self-acceptance. For men, it is a look into common female behavior and thought.

What stands out most about “I Feel Pretty” was the absence of an inexplicable magical force. Unlike “ Freaky Friday” or “17 Again,” Renee herself does not change, but her perception of herself does. What turns her life around is her newfound confidence.

Instead of loving her fake, “perfect” body and then finding that everyone would still accept her as she normally is, she sees that there was nothing wrong with her in the first place. The end of this movie is satisfying because there is no question about whether or not her looks impacted her career success or her relationship. It was always about her confidence and her personality.

Another part of this movie that any woman will appreciate is the fact that Renee’s insecurity is never portrayed as a positive. Too often, we see insecurity romanticized in media, but “I Feel Pretty” is a breath of fresh air from this usual, droll narrative. Her love interest finds her confidence to be her best quality. She receives a promotion for putting herself out there after she was previously too insecure to even walk into her office building.

“I Feel Pretty” will not change your life nor will it probably change the way you see yourself, but it does present a solid commentary on the absurd value society places on outside image.

Grade: B

life@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen