From: Silver Screen

‘Pacific Rim: Uprising’ is mindless fun that doesn’t take itself too seriously

The latest shows and movies coming to a screen near you. 

Taking place 10 years after the events of the first “Pacific Rim” film, “Pacific Rim: Uprising” follows Jake Pentecost ( John Boyega), son of Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba), who gets pulled back into the military to teach and prepare the new generation of Jaeger pilots, those who command the massive mecha-robots that face the otherworldly monsters. In the event that a new threat emerges, the team would work together to save the planet

Director Steven S. DeKnight (“Spartacus” and Netflix’s “Daredevil”) is aware that this is the kind of movie that shouldn’t take itself too seriously. His decision to diverge from Guillermo Del Toro’s initial style and embrace the crazy and the zany is what makes this film an enjoyable ride and perfect for people who just want to see huge robot fights.

Boyega proves he really is a star, carrying a great energy and presence with him throughout the movie. He brings a much-needed pathos to the film, his character feels the need to live up to his father’s legacy, who risked his life in the first film to save the world. The supporting cast, including Charlie Day and Burn Gorman, all seem to be enjoying themselves. Scott Eastwood however, who plays Boyega’s Jaeger partner, feels miscast and surprisingly bland.

The film is quite overstuffed, having plenty of unnecessary twists and turns in its 89 minute runtime. However, the short runtime is beneficial as it moves briskly enough without overstaying its welcome. The film does take a little bit of time to get going but once it gets to the Jaeger fights it becomes mindless, entertaining fun. Some may be turned off by its manic, almost schizoid energy, since many things are thrown at the audience without time to absorb all the action. The dialogue is horrible, with a lot of jokes that never really land.

Audiences won’t take much away from the film and they may need to be a little patient, but “Pacific Rim: Uprising” is a fun enough installment with good action that will satisfy audiences who want to turn their brains off for an hour and a half.

Grade: C

aalmutairi@theeagleonline.com

“Pacific Rim: Uprising” was released March 23.

More from Silver Screen