From: Silver Screen

Top 10 shows to help you relax and de-stress this semester

In order to maintain sanity between exams and homework, it is essential to take breaks from studying any way you can. Whether you are looking for a laugh or a good mystery, here are a few shows to watch when you want to destress and forget anything that might be weighing you down.

“The Office”

“The Office” is a classic TV series that will make you laugh at every awkward turn. All nine seasons of this raunchy, easy-to-follow comedy are available on Netflix and no matter how far the characters stray from sanity and decency, they always find a place back in your heart.

“Parks and Recreation”

If you love Amy Poehler and “The Office”-style humor, “Parks and Recreation” is the perfect show to watch on either Netflix or Hulu while ‘treating yo self’. This show features some of the most quotable jokes and the funniest one-liners. It is full of lovable characters whose awful decision-making skills are both hilarious and relatable.

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”

Anyone with an itch for satire will enjoy this punchy comedy available on Hulu. The gang’s absurd narcissism will make you feel better about yourself, knowing that even if you aren’t at your best, you are certainly nowhere near as awful as they are. This show is perfect for watching random episodes during study breaks, but also has hilarious running jokes for those looking to binge-watch.

“New Girl”

“New Girl” presents a cast of childish adults trying desperately to navigate the confusion of their 20s. Each character is strange in their own way and together the whole group will make you feel better about your own existential crises. Between Winston’s cat obsession, Nick’s bizarre conspiracy theories and Jess’s quirkiness you will fall in love with each character and become invested in every storyline. “New Girl” can be streamed on both Hulu and Netflix.

“Jersey Shore”

“Jersey Shore” is one of the original American reality TV shows and is (ironically) the perfect way to escape reality. While there are many more reality TV shows to choose from today, nothing beats the pure simplicity of “Jersey Shore.” For just a quick glimpse into this series, watch season three, episode three where Snooki (Nicole Polizzi) is arrested for public intoxication and shouts her famous line, “Where’s the beach!?” while tripping over sand (on the beach). Every season of the infamous “Jersey Shore” can be watched on Hulu.

“Arrested Development”

“Arrested Development” follows the lives of the dysfunctional Bluth family and their attempts to mend all wounds created by their father’s corrupt business practices. Each character has their own bizarre and awkward life that makes you laugh from discomfort. This twisted family will make you forget all about the stress of homework in peaceful 20 minute segments. “Arrested Development” can be found on Hulu and Netflix.

“Black Mirror”

“Black Mirror” is a mind-bending TV series available on Netflix featuring hour-long episodes,each with a different cast and storyline. With tales about possible future technological advances gone wrong, “Black Mirror” challenges your ways of thinking and can keep you distracted from other stresses long after the credits role.

“Stranger Things”

If you haven’t already joined the “Stranger Things” bandwagon, now is the time to hop on. This Netflix-exclusive, sci-fi series set in the 80s is as eerie as it is comical. With engaging twists about secret government projects and an alternate universe, “Stranger Things” sports a cast of impressive young actors and actresses. Once you start “Stranger Things” you won’t be able to stop watching until you finish both seasons; the perfect way to spend a mental health day.

“Big Little Lies”

“Big Little Lies” took home four Golden Globe awards including Best Limited Series. It is great for binge-watching along with studying as it is only one season consisting of seven engrossing episodes. This HBO series is suspenseful and full of strong female leads that will keep you locked on until the bitter end.

“Dear White People”

“Dear White People” is a Netflix original centered around a college campus that is bursting with racial tension after a “blackface” themed fraternity party. Following the story from a different character’s perspective, each episode unravels the events of one hectic week in the life of the Winchester University students. This Netflix original series is a quick, one season binge that will leaving you begging for more.

If you find yourself stressed out or overworked at any point during the semester, please visit the Counseling Center for help.

More from Silver Screen