From: Silver Screen

Hallo-Weekend Watchlist: films for the spookiest weekend

Spooky season is right around the corner: from classics like Charlie Brown to horror movies by Stephen King, this list of movies will guarantee a fun-filled filmtastic Halloween. 

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Cozy up in your costumes, grab your favorite candy and enjoy this classic Charlie Brown special. “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is an animated comedy about the Peanuts gang, led by Charlie Brown (Peter Robbins) and his fateful sidekick Snoopy. The plot revolved around Linus (Christopher Shea), Charlie Brown’s best friend, and his fascination with the ‘Great Pumpkin.’ He believes that the Great Pumpkin rises from the most pure pumpkin patch, flies into the air and gives presents to all the boys and girls around the world. Linus stakes out all night, only to be ridiculed by his friends in the end. “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is a lighthearted watch with a nostalgic feeling and is a film for all ages.

The team behind “It’s a Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” includes director Bill Melendez and writer Charles M. Schulz, who is famously known for writing the comic strip “Peanuts,” where the story originated from.

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is available to stream on Apple TV or for rent on VUDU.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

In “Hocus Pocus,” Max Dennison (Omri Katz) moves to Salem and struggles to make friends in his new hometown. Max and his sister Dani (Thora Birch) explore an abandoned house with their new friend, Allison (Vinessa Shaw). Max ignores all the showtell signs of caution and rumored superstitions and accidentally awakens three devious witches, known as the Sanderson Sisters, who were supposedly executed in the 17th century. Now in the race to save the world from these three sisters, Max must steal the witches’ spell book to prevent their immortality. If the premise is not already convincing, the Sanderson Sisters are played by the always memorable Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy who bring just the right amount of edgy humor to the table.

“Hocus Pocus” is directed by Kenny Ortega, also known for helming the famous “High School Musical” movie series. Ortega does a great job at cultivating a fantasy comedy that truly brings out the best Halloween vibes. 

“Hocus Pocus” is available to stream on Disney+. 

Young Frankenstein (1974)

“Young Frankenstein” is a black-and-white classical satirical comedy about a medical professional, Dr. Frederick Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) who discovers his inheritance to his grandfather’s estate in Transylvania. The prompt arrival of Dr. Frankenstein to the estate leads to the recreation of his late grandfather’s beloved experiments. Igor (Marty Feldman), the hilariously creepy servant, Inga (Teri Garr) and Frau Blucher (Cloris Leachman) assist Dr. Frankenstein in his experiments for the birth of his very own monster (Peter Boyle).  “Young Frankenstein,” written by both Mel Brooks and Wilder and directed by Brooks, is a parody of its 1931 horror film namesake, with the right amount of sarcastic humor and jump scares.

“Young Frankenstein” is available on Starz or to stream on Amazon Prime.

Halloween (2018)

“Halloween (2018)” is a part of one of the longest running horror phenomena films around the fictional Michael Myers. The movie centers around Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) who was viciously attacked 40 years ago by none other than the infamous Michael Myers (Nick Castle). Ever since his last string of killings many years ago, Myers has been locked away in a psychiatric institution until he plots his escape during a bus transfer to another facility that goes array. Fearful for her fate, Laurie now has to prepare herself for the scariest Halloween of her life. 

The 2018 thriller, “Halloween,” was directed by David Gordon Green, as well as written by Green, Jeff Fradley and Danny McBride. “Halloween (2018)” is the 11th film of the franchise, and third to redeem the title “Halloween as a direct sequel of the 1978 version. 

“Halloween (2018)” is available to stream on Amazon Prime. 

The Shining (1980)

“The Shining,” based on the 1977 horror novel written by Stephen King, captures the perfect essence of Halloween. The film follows Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) and his family to the remote Overlook Hotel in Colorado, where he becomes the new winter caretaker. During his stay, Jack hopes to cure his writer's block and enjoy some time away with his loving wife (Shelley Duvall) and son. However, Jack’s writing goes nowhere and his son Danny (Danny Lloyd) starts having worsening nightmares and imaginations. Long hallucinogenic nights spent obsessing over his writing, Jack quickly spirals out of control and turns into a homicidal maniac, terrorising his wife and son for the remainder of their stay. 

“The Shining” was directed by Stanley Kubrick and was based on the writings of Stephen King. This horror/thriller brings cabin fever chills right to your couch and will definitely leave you with goosebumps. 

“The Shining” is available on HBO Max or Amazon Prime. 

life@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen