From: The Scene Blog

Five Track Friday: Midterms edition

4853_musico.jpg

EPIC FIREWORKS, FLICKR

Keep your playlists fresh and your friends impressed with this weekly batch of hand-picked tracks for cool kids like you.

1. Delicate Steve – “Africa Talks to You”

(If you like: Dirty Projectors, The Dodos, unconventional guitar playing)

Delicate Steve, the unsung hero of alternative music, virtually defies all musical classification. This track off of his last release, “Positive Force,” features some sonic staples including Afro-pop inspired beats and richly layered synth and slide-guitar lines.

2. El Ten Eleven – “My Only Swerving”

(If you like: Tycho, Youth Lagoon, documentaries)

El Ten Eleven, Los Angeles-based instrumental duo, utilizes extensive looping to create richly layered songs using traditional instruments (guitar, bass, drums) in unconventional ways (read: lots of two-handed tapping). This track off its critically acclaimed eponymous debut has been featured in several award-winning documentaries, but works just as well in those playlists designed for late nights at the library.

3. Bonobo – “Kiara”

(If you like: Pretty Lights, Emancipator, that “chill-wave” thing the kids are so into these days)

British composer Simon Green has been writing and recording his unique blend of world-inspired downtempo for nearly 15 years. “Kiara” showcases an eastern inspired melody over densely woven hip-hop influenced beat.

4. Enemies – “Indian Summer”

(If you like: Built to Spill, Pavement, Pixies sans Kim Deal)

This is now the second week in a row to feature a track titled “Indian Summer.” Whoa. This
week, Irish math-rock band Enemies whirls through time-signatures and polyrhythms in this stand-out track from their debut, “Embark, Embrace.”

5. Helios – “Emancipation”

(If you like: Emancipator, Brian Eno, music you can brood to)

When you finally head home from the library at 3 a.m. (because midterms, obviously), why waste what precious energy you have left stressing? “Emancipation” is simple, beautiful and has just the right amount of wistfulness to pair well with solo walks home at ungodly hours.

More from The Scene Blog