From: The Scene Blog

“The Wire” Diaries: Commendation for Stringer Bell’s blue v-neck tee

4799_michael_k_williamso.jpg

WALT JABSCO, FLICKR

Episodes watched: Season 1, Episode 6: “The Wire,” Episode 7, “One Arrest.”

Don’t you just love when episodes of TV share the title of the series? Well, I do. And luckily, this happened, in episode six, called “The Wire.” Here’s what went down:

Police discover Omar Little’s boyfriend Brandon Wright (Michael Kevin Darnall) was brutally murdered, with his body placed on the hood of a car; this appears to be the work of the Barksdale operation in retaliation to Little and his gang stealing their drug stash earlier in the season. Preston “Bodie” Broadus (J.D. Williams, “Oz”), a member of the Barksdale group, is released from jail. Stringer Bell notifies other members that Roland “Wee-Bey” Brice (Hassan Johnson, “ER”) and Marquis “Bird” Hilton (Fredro Starr, “Strapped”) killed Wright.

Bubbles’ friend Johnny Weeks (Leo Fitzpatrick, “Sons of Anarchy”) is arrested for drug possession. The police detail wiretaps a payphone in the projects, where the Barksdale operation communicates and engages in the drug deals. Little agrees to testify in the William Gant murder case, due to his anger over Wright’s murder.

Even more happened in episode seven! Are you keeping up, character-wise? I know I’m still having trouble.

Kima Greggs bails Weeks out of jail as long as he enrolls in a rehab program and enters probation, and he and Bubbles attend an Addicts Narcotics meeting. Bell begins to suspect the police are investigating the Barksdale organization and has the payphones destroyed, along with the wiretap inside. More communications precautions are undertaken by the operation. Wallace struggles with the sight and aftermath of Wright’s murder and begins taking drugs.

Before the wire is destroyed, Roland “Prez” Pryzbylewski decodes the messages being recorded by the device. Several of the detectives intercept a package of drugs, and Major William Rawls (John Doman, “Law and Order”) increases investigation into Jimmy McNulty’s actions. McNulty and Rhonda Pearlman discuss the case with Judge Daniel Phelan (Peter Gerety, “Homicide: Life on the Street”). The detail arrests Bird and, with the help of Little, connects him to the William Gant murder.

On to my live-tweet-esque comments!

-Wallace, walking around the house screaming, is waking everyone up like Miss Hannigan in the beginning of “Annie.” “I want to see this place shine like the top of the Chrysler building!”

-D’Angelo Barksdale has so many Timberland boots.

-Barksdale to Wallace: “Let it go!” Me, in my head: singsLET IT GOOOO, LET IT GOOOO, I’M ONE WITH THE WIND AND SKYyYy”

-Kima’s baseball hat game: strong.

-Jimmy McNulty playing soccer with his kids makes my heart melt. Dad points!

-Negative dad points for taking your kids with you to pick up Omar Little. Jeez, McNulty.

-Rhonda Pearlman’s blue power suit is so very Dana Scully.

-No. McNulty confusing “then” and “than?” -1000. That is disgusting. McNulty is really in the red so far for this blog.

-“Sucks so much that her name is Rhonda.” – my friend Meg, who is also watching, on Pearlman.

-“I want a Reese’s, yo!” – me too, Kevin Johnston (Jimmy Jelani Manners, “Step Up 2: The Streets”).

-Ep 7, 26:07: MCNULTY DRINKING JAMESON! That’s at least a 10. Climbing your way back to the positive, McNulty.

-Ep 7, 33:38 Men talking about the Orioles and avoiding being social at this benefit. My ideal party.

-William “The Bunk” Moreland and McNulty’s bromance is so beautiful. I’m a fan of all of the bromances on “The Wire.”

-Could an establishment called “Orlando’s” be anything but a “gentleman’s club?”

-VERY IMPORTANT: Stringer Bell in a light blue v-neck t-shirt that showcase his enormous biceps. Almost as gorgeous as Eric Northman in a baby blue cashmere J.Crew sweater in Season Three of “True Blood.”

-Bell wearing a zip up black jacket over aforementioned blue v-neck is even better, 10 fashion points to Bell.

-“BUT I FUMBLED IT WHEN IT CAME DOWN TO THE WIRE” – the detail, on the fact that the Barksdale operation found and destroyed the wire the police had installed in the pay phone. I have been waiting seven episodes to make a reference to that Haim song.

-HA, actual laugh out loud at Pearlman blearily opening the door to let McNulty in at the end of episode seven. In most cop shows, she would be in full makeup and her hair would be perfect. But “The Wire” isn’t most cop shows, and I love this tiny moment of realness. True beauty. Also, McNulty has never looked hotter than in complacent defeat at Pearlman’s door, telling her that Major Rawls is going after his badge.*

-*Very reminiscent of when Mulder called Scully in the middle of the night to tell her that the higher-ups in the FBI were going to close the X-Files at the end of Season One. I am not comparing McNulty and Pearlman to Mulder and Scully, because that would be heresy, but the tenderness in this scene was worth noting.

Somehow, I am rapidly approaching the end of Season One, and “The Wire” continues to weave quite the narrative buildup. Urging resolutions in the remaining episodes, the final marriage of the characters and plotlines promises exciting plot recaps ahead. Stay tuned!

EPISODES 6 and 7 CAST LIST:

Dominic West as Jimmy McNulty
Idris Elba as Stringer Bell
Larry Gilliard, Jr. as D’Angelo Barksdale
Lance Reddick as Lieutenant Cedric Daniels
Sonja Sohn as Kima Greggs
Andre Royo as Bubbles
Wood Harris as Avon Barksdale
John Doman as Major William Rawls
Wendell Pierce as Bunk Moreland
Frankie Faison as Ervin Burrell
Deidre Lovejoy as Rhonda Pearlman
Peter Gerety as Judge Daniel Phelan
Callie Thorne as Elena McNulty
Michael K. Williams as Omar Little
J. D. Williams as Preston “Bodie” Broadus
Seth Gilliam as Detective Ellis Carver
Domenick Lombardozzi as Detective Thomas “Herc” Hauk
Clarke Peters as Detective Lester Freamon
Jim True-Frost as Detective Roland “Prez” Pryzbylewski
Hassan Johnson as Roland “Wee-Bey” Brice
Michael B. Jordan as Wallace
Corey Parker-Robinson as Detective Leander Sydnor
Delaney Williams as Sergeant Jay Landsman
Melanie Nicholls-King as CherylMelanie Nicholls-King as Cheryl
Tray Chaney as Malik “Poot” Carr
Brandon Price as Anton “Stinkum” Artis
Antonio Cordova as Michael McNulty
Clayton LeBouef as Wendell “Orlando” Blocker
Shamyl Brown as Donette
Wendy Grantham as Shardene Innes
Maria Broom as Marla Daniels

More from The Scene Blog