From: The Scene Blog

Fire Watch With Me: Traces to nowhere

I would like to start off this recap by saying that for some reason my Netflix account wasn’t working so I had to watch the second episode on Hulu with ads. Let me tell you, “Twin Peaks” does not flow so well when its broken up by uncharacteristically sappy Hot Pocket commercials.

That being said, episode two opens with Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan, “Blue Velvet”), once again speaking to the unknown “Diane” through a tape recorder while hanging upside by his ankles in his underwear for no apparent reason.

As far as the investigation into Laura Palmer’s (Sheryl Lee, “Winter’s Bone”) death, quite a bit was revealed in this episode...or was it? I’ve already learned not to willingly trust these characters or my own interpretations of their actions. Towards the beginning of the episode Dale and Harry Truman (Michael Ontkean, “The Descendants”) learn that Laura and one of her friends were both assaulted by one perpetrator in a train car.

From there, we see Shelly Johnson (Madchen Amick, “Sleepwalkers”) find one of Leo’s shirts covered in blood — suspicious. Meanwhile, wealthy hotel owner Benjamin Horne (Richard Beymer, “West Side Story”) schemes with business woman Catherine Martell (Piper Laurie, “Carrie) to take down the town’s biggest mill with just one more “local tragedy.”

Personally, I’m skeptical that any of these characters had anything to do with murder. “Peaks” presents a lot of important plot related information all at once, which makes me think not all of it is that important. In fact, the most important scene may have been when The Log Lady (Catherine E. Coulson, “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan”) revealed that her pet log witnessed Laura Palmer’s death. Other important clues (or lack thereof) may be found in the terrifying man Sarah Palmer (Grace Zabriskie, “The Grudge”) sees behind her couch or the strange message Laura left for her psychiatrist, Dr. Jacoby (Russ Tamblyn, “Drive”).

A few highlights from #1.2:

1. The love triangle between James Hurley (James Marchall, “A Few Good Men”), Donna Hayward (Lara Flynn Boyle, “Men in Black II”) and Laura (despite the fact that one third of the trio is deceased). James and Donna are both pretty broken up about the loss of their dear friend Laura, yet Donna is bringing James home to meet her parents, hmm.

2. Dale being great. He’s so odd himself he just slides right into place in the strange little town. He takes his coffee “black as the moonless night” and upon taking a sip exclaims “damn fine!”

3. Nadine’s (Wendy Robie, “The People Under the Stairs”) all around weirdness.

@jeanx16 - jvozella@theeagleonline.com

More from The Scene Blog