From: The Scene Blog

“Red Band Society” Recap: Lies, lies everywhere

4905_catalinao.jpg

Oscar nominee Catalina Sandino Moreno made her first “Red Band Society” appearance tonight. – FESTICINE ANTIOQUIA, FLICKR

Like the beginning of every episode of “Red Band Society,” the show introduces us to its’ themes immediately. This week, Charlie (Griffin Gluck, “Private Practice”) explains to us the many lies that fill Ocean Park Hospital. In each scene we receive reminders of when a character isn’t telling the truth, as if it wasn’t blatantly obvious already.

This episode, aptly titled “Liar, Liar Pants on Fire,” shows us a more intimate side of Dr. Jack McAndrew (Dave Annable, “Brothers & Sisters”). Last week’s show left us in suspense when the doctor sits at a bar making eyes with a nameless, yet very attractive redhead. After a night of fun, Dr. McAndrew does not expect his one-night-stand to show up the next day at the hospital. Unless, of course, the redhead turns out to be Eva (Catalina Sandino Moreno, “Maria Full of Grace”) the “dead mother” of Jordi (Nolan Sotillo, “Prom”). Try to stay with me.

Jordi wants nothing to do with his mother, even after she offers to be his support system during his cancer treatment. Considering his childhood consisted of feeding himself while waiting for his alcoholic mom to finish her poker game, Jordi faking his mom’s death is completely understandable. To determine whether she stays or goes, the mother-son duo gamble jelly beans to discover the winner.

As Jordi and Emma’s (Ciara Bravo, “Big Time Rush”) relationship grows stronger, so does Leo’s jealousy. In attempt to win back the girl whose heart he broke, Leo (Charlie Rowe, “Neverland”) sucks up to Emma by laughing at her jokes and helping her bake (FYI boys: this would work on me). While Emma appreciates Leo’s generosity, she blows out the rekindled flame pretty quickly with a “Friends? That’s what you meant, right?” We would feel for Leo if only he actually liked Emma. His pursuit had to do more with his jealousy of Jordi than any true feelings he had for his ex.

The tense relationship between Nurse Jackson (Octavia Spencer, “The Help”) and Kara (Zoe Levin, “Palo Alto”) continues as we learn Kara is in withdrawal from her beloved pills. She needs to test negatively for drugs to be considered a viable candidate for a heart transplant. Although Kara drives her insane, Nurse Jackson is determined in seeing Kara stay sober. It will be a difficult accomplishment if Kara keeps popping pills every time she gets a moment alone.

Ending the episode with Jordi’s mother kissing Dr. McAndrew, it will be interesting to see what exactly her role will be in future episodes. From the small amount of background information we know, her intentions may not be entirely honorable. The love triangles and the scenes with Octavia Spencer remain the only things keeping this show afloat.

Observations/things worth chuckling about:

• I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. McAndrew’s too-short sex scene with Jordi’s “dead” mother. I’m sorry but this show could use more of Dave Annable sans scrubs.
  • While Kara and her “booty-call” have fun one bed over, her roommate, Charlie, made me laugh by saying, “Not exactly how I imagined my first three way. But I’m not going to lie to you. I’ll take it.”
  • Dash made a reference to “Full House” when he compared Emma and Leo’s relationship to Steve and DJ. However, I have a feeling most of the “Red Band Society” audience is too young to understand that reference.

Tune in to “Red Band Society” on Wednesdays at 9 p.m on Fox.

More from The Scene Blog