From: District Wire

D.C. files for eminent domain to acquire remaining land at site of proposed D.C. United stadium

A rendering of the planned soccer stadium (Mayor's office).

The District of Columbia has filed for eminent domain to acquire two acres of land at the site of the planned D.C. United soccer stadium. The move will secure the remaining parcel of land at the site, allowing the city to begin construction of the planned $300 million stadium at Buzzard Point in Southwest.

The two acres are currently owned by real estate company Akridge. Last year, former Mayor Vincent Gray proposed to swap with Akridge those two acres for the District government’s Reeves Center municipal building, but when Mayor Muriel Bowser took office this year, she did away with that deal.

Bowser had long made clear her intention to use eminent domain, yet the decision to formally file tonight came hours after courts closed. Today was the city’s deadline to acquire all the land on the site.

“The District of Columbia and D.C. United are moving forward on a soccer stadium that will transform a neighborhood on the banks of the Anacostia and generate hundreds of new jobs for District residents,” a statement from Bowser’s office said. “We have created the best deal for the District, its residents, D.C. United and its fans.”

(Mayor's office)

cdil@theeagleonline.com

More from District Wire