From: District Wire

Glover Park ANC considers backing looser liquor license moratorium

(Google Maps screenshot.)

In 1999, the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration placed a moratorium on issuing liquor licenses around Glover Park and Cathedral Heights. The measure prevented any new taverns or nightclubs from opening in the area, and put a cap on liquor licenses issued to restaurants.

“It was devised to control what was then out-of-control peace, order and quiet issues as a result of ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) licensed establishments,” Glover Park Advisory Neighborhood Commission Chair Jackie Blumenthal said.

Last Thursday, the ANC proposed that the restriction be lifted on restaurant licenses — but not for taverns or nightclubs.

The ANC has supported loosening the moratorium’s restrictions before; the last three times the city ordinance was up for renewal, the ANC endorsed weakening it. The commission’s current proposal keeps with the trend.

“We’ll approve continuing the moratorium against taverns and nightclubs, but not against anything else in Glover Park,” Blumenthal said.

The ANC will vote on their proposal Nov. 12. In the meantime, residents are encouraged to send feedback to commissioners by email.

If the ANC supports the alterations to the moratorium they will have to present the proposal to the alcoholic beverage regulatory agency.

“We will appear before ABRA, probably in January, before the Alcohol Beverage Control Board to present our petition and answer their questions,” Blumenthal said.

The vote will be the first step towards a major change for potential restaurants in Glover Park and Cathedral Heights. If approved, it may be a few months before looser regulations take into effect.

districtwire@theeagleonline.com

More from District Wire