From: District Wire

Shaw Main Streets welcomes 14 businesses to neighborhood

Mayor Muriel Bowser (far right) and Alexander Padro (far left) of Shaw Main Streets cut the ribbon representing 14 businesses (Casey Wexler/The Eagle).

Mayor Muriel Bowser brought down giant golden scissors Wednesday morning on a ribbon representing 14 new, reopening or expanded businesses in Shaw, the latest mass ribbon cutting in the neighborhood.

Community group Shaw Main Streets has worked to bring new businesses and revitalize the area’s 7th and 9th Street commercial corridors since it was founded in 2003.

"In the 13 years that Shaw Main Streets has been operational we have helped to support the opening of almost 200 businesses,” said Alexander Padro, the organization’s executive director. "That's quite considerable when you take into consideration that for decades no one wanted to have a business in Shaw or even live in Shaw."

The full list of new businesses are Calabash Tea and Tonic, Rito Loco,  Evans & Chambers Technology, U Scoot, Freedom Lounge, Noble Lounge, Unleashed by Petco, Red Valet Cleaners, Piassa Ethiocuisine and Cafe, District Pilates and Shaw Yoga. Duffy's Tavern reopened, and Chercher Ethiopian Restaurant and TG Cigar Lounge have expanded.

The ribbon cutting was not the only reason for celebration.

"Shaw Main Streets has been chosen by the National Main Street Center, which is a division of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, as a finalist for the 2016 Great American Main Street Award," Padro announced.

Bowser promised to keep supporting Shaw and the seven other Main Streets organizations in D.C. Main Streets is a nationwide program that promotes economic revitalization in neighborhoods. 

"Revitalizing our neighborhood corridors has to be on the top of our agenda," Bowser said. "People want to know what's going on their Main Street near where they live, what small businesses are coming and how can they lead their daily lives in a short walk or short ride from their own home."

Director of the Department of Small and Local Business Development Ana Harvey joined Bowser at the ribbon cutting. After her speech, the mayor cut the ribbon and Shaw Main Streets officially welcomed 14 more businesses.

cwexler@theeagleonline.com

More from District Wire