halloween roundup: barbie and ken

Roundup: Halloween costumes for this spooky season

Check out some of 2023’s most popular costumes

Each year, different pop culture trends mean a variety of new halloween costumes in circulation. From group and couples’ costumes to singles, the options are endless and sometimes it can feel hard to know where to start finding the perfect costume. 

Luckily, the Eagle has you covered:

1.  Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

halloween roundup: taylor swift pic

Taylor Swift’s worldwide Eras Tour has been groundbreaking for the music industry this past year and will continue for at least the next six months. 

halloween roundup: travis kelce

On top of her record-breaking tour, Swift’s newly public relationship with NFL player Travis Kelce has been the headline for news articles everywhere in recent weeks. Due to both Swift and Kelce’s popularity, a couple’s costume of the pair could be just the thing this Halloween. After all, Swift has plenty of eras to pull from, and Kelce has a signature uniform that would be very simple to pull together.

2.  Barbie and Ken

The “Barbie” movie hit theaters on July 21 and instantly made history. 

The film has earned more than $1.38 billion worldwide, becoming both the highest grossing film in Warner Bros. history and the highest grossing female-directed film of all time. There are multiple choices for a Barbie-themed costume this Halloween; from the pink fashionista look to an ‘80s gym outfit to cowboy Barbie, and plenty of Ken outfits to choose from as well. Ken and Barbie works as stand-alone costumes or a duo (though Ken did tell audiences that he’s “just Ken”), and you can be sure to see Barbies and Kens will be all over the United States this Halloween.

3.  Julius Robert Oppenheimer

halloween roundup: oppenheimer

Oppenheimer” also took movie theaters by storm in 2023. It was the third-highest grossing movie of the year and made $854 million worldwide. The World War II-era movie focuses on the Manhattan Project, the program behind the creation of the first atomic bomb. “Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds,” a quote from the Bhagavad Gita that Oppenheimer said in both real life and the movie, fits into the spookiness of Halloween seamlessly. Although many already wore black to see the movie, there are still lots of characters from the film to dress up as, especially if you’re into a ‘40s look.

4.  Dumbledore

halloween roundup: dumbledore

The Harry Potter universe is two decades old, and has been dominating  Halloween with costumes from its respective books and movies the whole time. Michael Gambon, who played Albus Dumbledore for a majority of the series, recently passed away. One way to honor his memory could be to dress up as Dumbledore this Halloween. After all, the holiday is full of magic, and what better costume to bring some of that magic to life?

5.  Donald Trump Mugshot

Politics has always been a sensitive topic, but there are times when humor outweighs the controversy. In the past few months, former President Donald Trump was arrested on charges for attempting to undermine Georgia vote counts in the 2020 election. The Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis charged Trump under the state’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act —Trump is now awaiting trial on multiple charges. 

halloween roundup: trump mugshot

Many will find this costume either humorous or offensive. Either way, it’s definitely something to look for while out trick or treating — especially in D.C.

Halloween is a holiday where you can be anyone or anything you’d like for a night. These are just some options to consider when deciding who to portray this year, and hopefully, this list gave you some inspiration for the upcoming spooky season. 

Edited by Sara Winick, Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis and Charlie Mennuti.

life@theeagleonline.com