Thursday, May 2, 2024
IMG_0606.jpeg

PLAYLIST: Back to School

Looking for the perfect music to get back into school? The Eagle has you covered with a playlist to start your semester right

Though it may feel like summer has ended too soon, the start of the fall semester is rapidly approaching, and back-to-school preparations are in full swing.

With syllabuses waiting to be read, new classrooms waiting to be found and school supplies waiting to be bought, it can feel impossible to get everything organized in time for classes to begin. It also feels even harder to find the motivation to start preparing for a new school year. 

The Eagle knows how hard the back-to-school season can be, and has organized the perfect playlist to keep you cool, calm and collected as you get all your essentials together before Aug. 28.

1. Good Days” by SZA

When it comes to saying goodbye to summer and getting back into the academic mindset it’s important to remember that there are still “good days” ahead, as SZA explores in this track.

A rather calm and melodic song from SZA’s latest album “SOS,” “Good Days” is the perfect number to give you peace of mind as you head into September and the new school year. 

2. “Surrender My Heart” by Carly Rae Jepsen

This pop-infused opener to Carly Rae Jepsen’s 2022 album “The Loneliest Time” is the perfect song to play as you say goodbye to past mistakes and prepare to give your all to a new year. 

The upbeat and synth-like composition of this track makes it easy to sing along with and even easier to dance to. Filled with bass, guitar, drums and Jepsen’s mesmerizing vocals, “Surrender My Heart” is just the right song to surrender your school year to, and just the right song to add to the soundtrack of your semester.

3. “ALIEN SUPERSTAR” by Beyoncé

Starting a new school year is often full of uncertainty, anxiety and insecurity — and what better song to give you confidence than Beyoncé’s hit track “ALIEN SUPERSTAR?”

Fresh off her latest album “RENAISSANCE,” “ALIEN SUPERSTAR” is a song full of energy, love and pride. “Fire beneath your feet, music when you speak,” Beyoncé sings on the track, “You're so unique.” 

If you’re looking for an anthem of warmth and confidence (and one that you can also dance to) look no further than this U-N-I-Q-U-E track. 

4. “G R O W” by WILLOW, Avril Lavigne (feat. Travis Barker)

Reminiscent of early 2000s alternative pop, “G R O W” is a fast-paced collaboration between WILLOW, Avril Lavigne and Travis Barker all about growth.

As we enter the new school year, now more than ever is the perfect time to focus on personal change and a fresh start. This song embodies those goals, as WILLOW and Lavigne each take turns singing about putting the work in, healing themselves and how they’ve “still got room to grow.” 

5. “Last Day Under the Sun” by Volbeat

Part of Volbeat’s 2019 album “Rewind, Replay, Rebound (Deluxe),” “Last Day Under the Sun” seems somewhat cynical in light of summer coming to an end. Still, the message of the song goes much further, and highlights the importance of second chances and living in the moment. 

Accompanied by guitar, drums and even a gospel choir, “Last Day Under the Sun” is an electric and uplifting song that will remind you to cherish good times and memories as you venture into something new. 

As lead singer Michael Poulsen belts, “The memories are all we have / So keep them safe and sound / Nothing matters but what we learned / Get your feet back on the ground.” 

6. “Let’s Hear It For Rock Bottom” by The Offspring

As the old saying goes; the only place to go from the bottom is up — and no song embodies that feeling better than this classic off The Offspring’s 2008 record “Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace. 

Lead singer Dexter Holland’s distinctive vocals shine on this track as he laments how we’re “wasting away / We're hitting rock bottom / And going down in flames,” only to realize as the track goes on, “well, it's not that bad.” 

Though the lyrics of this song may give off a darker tone, the upbeat and catchy melody balances them out in a cheeky composition that will have you feeling ready to give it up for rock bottom and begin your climb upwards too.

7. “Making a Fire” by Foo Fighters

Much more optimistic, this opening track off Foo Fighters’ 2021 album “Medicine At Midnight” is all about taking in the moment and living for today. 

Filled with the sounds of rock, funk and gospel chorus, “Making a Fire” will have you dancing and singing along with lead vocalist Dave Grohl, and convince you that “it’s time to ignite” and make your own fire. 

8. “Blue” by MARINA

Reminiscent of early disco tunes mixed with modern pop, “Blue” is a song completely unique and perfect for celebrating that “one last time” of summer fun and relaxation before school begins.

Described by MARINA herself as “one of the most pop sounding tracks on the record” and “70s-inspired,” “Blue” is a song that will make you dance and make you reflect on the good times, as well as the bad, as you go into something new.

As summer comes to a close and we turn to welcome a new season and new school year, music is one of the best outlets to help us adjust to change and new beginnings. 

As you embark on your own journey this school year, The Eagle hopes this playlist can help you along the way. 

swinick@theeagleonline.com 

This article was edited by Patricia McGee and Abigail Pritchard. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis.