unnamed.jpeg

Neighbors weigh in on new athletic center at community forum

New construction will include the Meltzer Center for Athletic Performance and Sports Center Annex

American University’s neighbors raised questions and voiced concerns about two proposed projects in the University’s 2021 Campus Plan during an information forum on campus Jan. 26.  

The projects include the Meltzer Center for Athletic Performance and Sports Center Annex, both of which will be located behind Bender Arena. At least 12 people attended the meeting, many of whom live within two blocks of campus. 

Dennis Paul, a longtime resident of D.C. and an AU alumnus from the Class of 1961, said he has witnessed many projects over the years and commended the efforts of the University to engage with neighbors. 

“I feel like they really do want to work with us versus in the past,” Paul said. 

The primary concerns voiced by Paul and other locals centered around potential excess noise and light pollution from the new proposed buildings. A large part of buffering these things is the current natural plant barrier between University Avenue Northwest and the AU property line.

Some neighbors noted that light pollution from nearby campus buildings increases during the winter when trees on the barrier lose their leaves and wanted to know how the new buildings could affect it. 

“Our biggest priority is the buffer,” Paul said. 

In response to these concerns, the University said that it plans to invest in landscaping on both the University and street side of the barrier, which could include adding thicker foliage and trees to further reduce noise and light from campus.

Another aspect of the proposed projects that raised community concerns was the elimination of the University’s tennis courts and the proposed addition of a small turf area behind the new Meltzer Center. Neighbors have access to and use the tennis courts, and many suggested adding a single tennis court for community use rather than a turf area.

The proposed plans for the Meltzer Center and Sports Center Annex are the first step in the prospective Student Thriving Complex plan. The initial project was approved in AU’s 2021 Campus Plan, which universities in the district are required to submit every 10 years. 

A screenshot of the 2021 Campus Plan document showing proposed athletic and recreation facilities on west campus. The community garden is not drawn or labeled in the map of existing, or proposed, campus facilities. 

“It needs to be the right project for everyone,” Jonathan McCann, the assistant vice president of planning and project management at AU, said at the forum. 

Currently, the Meltzer Center will include a competition gymnasium for wrestling and volleyball and spaces for strength and conditioning, sports medicine and a locker room, according to the January 2023 Neighborhood Newsletter released by AU. 

The newsletter also noted that the new Sports Center Annex will include a Well-Being Commons with space for the Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services, as well as the Student Health Center. 

The next information forum with more updates on the proposed plan will occur in March, but various community groups are meeting in the meantime to provide input. 

Natalie Ambrose, the co-chair for the Facilities Planning Working Group, commended AU’s transparency with neighbors on the project. 

“Every time you have a meeting it gets better because questions are raised that weren’t before,” Ambrose said.

This article was edited by Gabe Castro-Root, Jordan Young and Nina Heller. Copy editing by Isabelle Kravis, Sarah Clayton, Leta Lattin and Stella Guzik.  

kmass@theeagleonline.com