AU WBB v BU 2.8.23.23-024.jpg

Despite a loss to Boston University, AU women’s basketball sees a future of growth

Young players had a successful game, indicative of a promising program for the Eagles

The American University women’s basketball team (5-18) took on Boston University (17-6) in Bender Arena last Wednesday, Feb. 8, losing  59-40 to the Terriers. Despite the loss, there’s hope for a new and growing program led by head coach Tiffany Coll

Boston University has made incredible strides in the league this season, with a 12-0 record in the Patriot League and a promising future at winning the conference. For AU, this was a game of growth. Players and coaches went in acknowledging their opponents success and where their program is at. 

“They’re on a streak right now, and they’re feeling good,” said Coll. “We’re in the process of developing our players while they’ve already become successful in that process.”

An in-league loss takes a hit to any team, although while it impacts the Eagles, they also are learning about their strengths and weaknesses as a team, things needed to differentiate between before they can decide where efforts will best be spent during practice time. 

BU took an early lead in the first half, with senior guard Sydney Johnson being a critical part of their scoring efforts. The Eagles continued to put BU to the challenge, but they needed help to keep up with the Terriers’ offense. 

AU’s offense was led by freshman guard Laura Nogues and freshman forward Molly Lavin

AU is chasing growth after such a successful season last year — followed by the transfers of  forward Taylor Brown and guard Emily Fisher

Although a successful 2021-2022 season for the Eagles put them in the first round of the NCAA Division I March Madness Tournament, they've been pining for the same wave of wins ever since. 

Despite a 4-8 record in the Patriot League, there's hope for AU with Nogues and Lavin both putting points on the board, in addition to the game played by lone sophomore guard Bailey Garbee

“A freshman becoming a part of the game early in her career is critical for our growth as a team and as a program,” said Coll. 

Dynamics on the court were intense, with constant pushback from AU to keep up with their opponents. Even until the last minute on the clock, the team was catching rebounds and making runs for the hoop. 

The final moments of motivation for AU indicate a strong future: a team who can continue to fight, even when facing a top-ranked team. 

The Eagles will return to Bender Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. to face off against the Bucknell Bison.

This article was edited by Penelope Jennings, Delaney Hoke and Nina Heller. Copy editing done by Isabelle Kravis, Natasha LaChac

kbenzingplourde@theeagleonline.com