48207880742_e2c8859f6a_b.jpeg

DC music roundup: Concerts to check out this October

Artists are returning to DC stages this month; here’s what you don’t want to miss out on

As students are returning to D.C., so are your favorite musicians. October brings a variety of musical events students and residents are sure to be excited about. Here are seven concerts to check out this month.

Oct. 8 Mt. Joy and Trampled by Turtles

Mt. Joy is known for their modern folk-rock sound, supported with thoughtful and heartfelt lyrics. The band’s most recent album dropped in 2020 titled “Rearrange Us” with a single titled “New President.” The band will be joined by Trampled by Turtles, another modern folk-rock band, best known for their unique banjo sound and songs such as “Wait so Long,” “Alone” and “Victory.” If you are a fan of The Lumineers and Shakey Graves, Mt. Joy and Trampled by Turtles is a must see concert this October.

Mt. Joy and Trampled by Turtles are performing at The Anthem on Oct. 8 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $89 and can be found here.

Oct. 16 All Things Go Music Festival

The All Things Go Music Festival is an annual outdoor music event held in the fall and is unique to the D.C. area. This year’s festival will be headlined by Haim, St. Vincent, Charli XCX and Lauv. If you’re into indie-pop music or just looking for a cool event to go to with friends, the All Things Go Music Festival is the place to be this month.

All Things Go Music Festival will be held at the Merriweather Post Pavilion, in Columbia, Maryland on Oct. 16 at 12 p.m. Tickets start at $89.50 and can be found here.

Oct. 19 Dayglow

Known for his hit song “Can I Call You Tonight,” released in 2018, Texas-born singer and songwriter Sloan Struble, better known as “Dayglow,” will be coming to D.C. this month. Dayglow’s music can best be described as dreamy indie-pop with a unique genre range that will pull you through a rollercoaster of emotions. Dayglow released his second album in May 2021, “Harmony House,” featuring retro-inspired melodies in songs such as “Close to You” and “Moving Out,” contrasted with a relaxed tempo in “December” and “Woah Man.” Dayglow’s sound is something out of this world, so this is definitely a concert you don’t want to miss out on.

Dayglow is performing at the 9:30 Club on Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. Tickets start at $53 and can be purchased here

Oct. 25 H.E.R.

Gabriella Wilson, better known as “H.E.R,” released her third album in June 2021, “Back of My Mind.” In her newest album, H.E.R. demonstrates her vocal and genre range, bringing songs that feature a variety of heartfelt ballads, slow tempos and trap beats. If you’re into artists like Daniel Caesar and SZA, you should check out H.E.R.’s concert.

H.E.R. is performing at The Anthem on Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. Tickets start at $80 and can be found here.

Oct. 25 Yves Tumor

Yves Tumour brings an array of eclectic sounds categorized as soulful, punky and electronic to the music scene. Tumor is best known for songs such as “Gospel for a New Century” and “Kerosene” as well as their feature on Joji’s song “Reanimator.” They recently released “The Asymptotical World EP” in July 2021. In the album, Tumor incorporates a heavy metal sound contrasting with ethereal undertones, making this a must listen to album for both new and old listeners. This is a concert that will get you on your feet and introduce you to a whole new world of music.

Yves Tumor is performing at Union Stage on Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. Resale tickets can be found here. 

Oct. 26 Arlo Parks

Arlo Parks is a West London-born artist whose music can best be described as soulful indie with hints of pop and spoken word. She released her first album in January titled “Collapsed in Sunbeams,” which she’ll be performing on tour. Arlo Parks is an upcoming, talented artist and a concert you don’t want to miss out on.

Arlo Parks is coming to Union Stage on October 26th at 7 p.m. Resale tickets can be found here.

Oct. 29 100 gecs

In 2015, high school friends Dylan Brady and Laura Les teamed up to become the hyperpop duo known as “100 gecs.” From there they went on to release their first EP titled “100 gecs” which features the TikTok viral song, “Money Machine.” The group returned in 2020 to release “1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues,'' which features big name artists such as Charli XCX, Rico Nasty and Fall Out Boy. 100 gecs’ music is classified as hyperpop with notes of dubstep, punk and pop, providing a unique mix of music.

100 gecs is performing at the 9:30 Club on Oct. 29 at 10 p.m. Tickets start at $49 and can be purchased here.

October will bring many different types of artists to the D.C. area that are sure to excite students as they transition back into school. These upcoming concerts are a good way to bring old and new friends together for a fun night out.

life@theeagleonline.com