Covering Coronavirus.jpg

BREAKING: University shares interim faculty and staff travel approval plan set to go into effect on Aug. 14

Guidelines are the latest update in AU’s plan to return to in-person campus operations

Administration shared updated guidelines for domestic and international travel among faculty and staff members in an email Wednesday. 

In the announcement to the American University community, Provost Peter Starr announced the University’s plan for an interim travel approval process that will begin once the travel moratorium is lifted on August 14, and will remain in place until December 31. This announcement comes as AU prepares to return to in-person campus operations for the fall 2021 semester. 

According to the email, “University authorized, sponsored, or funded travel includes study abroad programs, timely or critically needed faculty and graduate level research and grant-related travel, participation in dual degree programs, travel for NCAA sanctioned athletic competitions, admissions and recruitment activities, and individual staff travel required to carry out critical functions related to the AU mission.”

To get approval for travel, faculty and staff must submit their request at least two weeks prior to their proposed departure date. Request forms will be located on the University’s COVID-19 Resources web page. Applicants will be asked to disclose information regarding their reason for travel, trip logistics, funding sources and other health and safety travel matters. 

The Office of Global Safety will review the provided information within the request, and submit their assessment to the designated department, and will then get final approval from a designated “leadership team member.”

According to the email, this interim approval process will “enable university leaders and our health and safety team to review travel requests and make informed decisions regarding the risks posed by travel, particularly to destinations which may not be safe due to local COVID-19 conditions and other safety issues.”

University authorized or sponsored travel within the D.C., Maryland and Virginia region will not require approval. Personal travel plans made without affiliation to the University are also  exempt from the interim process.

Policies regarding University-related travel beyond the fall 2021 semester will be announced later in the year, according to the email. Travel plans concerning study abroad programs are being coordinated separately by the University’s Study Abroad department. 

The University said they encourage community members to email the Office of Global Safety at globalsafety@american.edu with any questions regarding the process for approval. 

kcorliss@theeagleonline.com and bjohansen@theeagleonline.com