DEI-logo.png

The Eagle announces the opening of staff applications for the spring semester, as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion group implements a new recruitment strategy

Students from any of American University’s schools are encouraged to apply when applications open on Nov. 30

By Gabriel Ferris | Nov. 21, 2020

Staff applications for The Eagle will open on Nov. 30 and close at 11:59 p.m. EST on Dec. 21, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion group decided during a meeting on Wednesday. Interested students can read more about joining The Eagle here and may attend an optional informational session on Dec. 2 at 8:15 p.m. EST.

To better reflect the makeup of American University, The Eagle is looking to diversify its staff with this round of applications, according to Editor-in-Chief Sophie Austin. To reach a wider audience of interested students, DEI staffers will soon contact various University clubs, classes, professors and students directly.

In their correspondence, DEI members will emphasize that The Eagle is not looking just for students with a demonstrated interest in journalism, but also for students who are naturally curious, interested in interacting with the AU community and looking to work with a collaborative team.

In addition to seeking out journalism students, Austin said The Eagle is looking for spring staffers to represent a diverse array of schools and majors.

On the application, applicants can designate their top three choices for specific positions within The Eagle’s Online, Multimedia, Copy Desk, News, Sports, Opinion and Life departments.

Spanish-speaking students interested in becoming writers or editors for The Eagle’s recently announced Spanish initiative are also encouraged to apply, Austin said.

In other matters, the DEI group decided on Dec. 4 for a community-building game night and discussed preliminary plans for the event.

To foster a unified and inclusive community, The Eagle will announce this semester’s last round of buddy pairings between our new and existing staff members at the end of next week.

gferris@theeagleonline.com