MGC - Summer

AU asks community to report travel ahead of Thanksgiving

“Health and safety are more important than ever,” Burwell says

President Sylvia Burwell announced in a University-wide email Monday that all students, faculty and staff traveling for Thanksgiving are requested to provide information about their personal travel plans. 

Members of the AU community are being asked to fill out a form that asks where people are traveling to, when they are departing D.C. and if and when they are returning, among other questions. 

According to the form, completing it will allow the University to provide members of the AU community with the latest information on travel restrictions. This includes domestic and international travel, including the 42 states designated by D.C. as hot spots as of Nov. 2.

“While there is hopeful news about treatments and vaccines, the pandemic remains a concern everywhere, and we cannot let our guard down as COVID-19 hospitalizations are at record levels,” Burwell wrote in her email. 

Since July, the District has required a mandatory 14-day quarantine period for visitors from high-risk states. However, just last week, an order by Mayor Muriel Bowser went into effect that requires a negative test result within 72 hours before traveling to D.C. and another negative test within three to five days of arrival. 

“As we approach the Thanksgiving holiday and the COVID-19 case counts reach new highs across the country, health and safety are more important than ever,” Burwell said. “Please continue to be vigilant in wearing a mask, practicing physical distancing, and following public health guidance.”

As cases surge throughout the nation, the level of community spread in D.C. has entered the “red zone” criteria. On Wednesday, D.C. recorded the largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases since May. Cases in the AU community have also spiked, as six new cases were reported for the week of Nov. 9, which is the highest number of cases since September, bringing the semester total to 35.

nheller@theeagleonline.com