gym_dumbbell_healthy_exercise_workout_training_fitness_lifestyle-498974.jpg!d.jpeg

How to stay fit at home with circuit training

Health promotion students share workout tips during quarantine

Editor’s note: This article originally appeared on theeaglecoronavirusproject.com, a separate website created by Eagle staff at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic in spring 2020. Articles from that website have been migrated to The Eagle’s main site and backdated with the dates they were originally published in order to allow readers to access them more easily.

As confirmed cases and fatality rates from  COVID-19 continue to rise along with stricter quarantine measures related to the virus, the mental health of the general public is also suffering. As anxiety, depression and stress consume the public, AU seniors studying health promotion are developing a strategy to promote health amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

Given the necessary yet overwhelming measures taken to contain the coronavirus, such as quarantine, social and physical distancing and widespread health information, it is natural to have elevated feelings of stress, anxiety, uncertainty and worry. Managing these feelings is crucial to mental and physical health. 

One of the most readily available outlets for managing these feelings that boosts mood, manages stress and improves overall mental health is exercise. However, since most gyms are closed, creating a workout plan now requires more creativity. One excellent form of exercise that anyone can do, even while in quarantine, is circuit training.

Circuit training is a form of resistance training or body conditioning in which you cycle through several exercises. This unique form of exercising is well-rounded, engages various parts of the body and is well known for improving cardiovascular and muscular fitness. 

A circuit is one completed round of an established set of exercises. Bodyweight circuit training requires little to no equipment and is perfect for situations where access to gym equipment is limited. Bodyweight circuit training can be done anywhere by anyone. Training sessions can be as short or as long as needed, and intensity can be raised or lowered based on desired effectiveness. Below are a few exercises that you can incorporate into your circuit. Choose the amount of time or number of repetitions for each exercise and how many cycles you would like to go through, and you’re ready to go.

Examples of exercises:

• Jumping jacks
  • Pushups
  • Walking/jogging
  • High knees
  • Squats
  • Lunges
  • High Knees
  • Crunches
  • Burpees
  • Planks

Circuit training is a form of exercise built for everyone and can be done anywhere, but there are still plenty of other ways to stay mentally healthy through exercise. Consider going on a walk or run, doing yoga or buying some weights for strength training. The most important part is that you are finding ways to take care of your health.

For more sources on bodyweight circuit training or specific workout plans, you can visit fitandme.com, menshealth.com and self.com.

life@theeagleonline.com