ZooLights

The best food/drink festivities in D.C. to ring in the holiday season

With the holidays around the corner, here are some places to indulge in food and drink to make you merry this season

It’s finally the best time of year; it’s the holiday season and the semester is finally coming to an end. To immerse yourself in the festivities, here are some festivals that are sure to pack your stomach with an extra layer of warmth for this coming winter. 

Brewlights at Zoolights

There’s no better way to celebrate the holidays than enjoying a nice brew with friends surrounded by monkeys and elephants. Powered by Pepco, The National Zoo’s Brewlights at Zoolights event brings you dozens of breweries and snacks while you walk around the zoo, illuminated by the brightly colored lights displayed all season. 

More than 40 breweries are participating, including 3 Stars Brewery, 7 Locks Brewery and Alewerks. From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. starting on Dec. 12, you have three hours to drink away “unlimited beer tastings from dozens of breweries serving craft beers and microbrews.” 

Aside from the excitement of tossing back some drinks and snacks, your purchases at this event will support the zoo and the Conservation Biology Institute. So don’t just go for yourself, go for the animals too.

D.C. AF — Meet Your Maker(s) | Holiday pop-up shopping

Show some true pride for D.C. and head out to the D.C. AF-Meet Your Maker(s) pop-up shop  on Dec. 14, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Located at Union Market, the venue is a perfect place to do a little holiday shopping while sampling foods and drinks.

As you go around the market, you will be able to sip on some free cocktail, beer and wine samples from different vendors. With a deal like this I think it’s best to clear out your schedule for Dec. 14 and enjoy a day out on the town.

Downtown DC Holiday Market

From Nov. 22 to Dec. 23, D.C.’s Penn Quarter neighborhood will be holding a holiday market. Starting from noon to 8 p.m. daily, shoppers will be able to find gifts for their loved ones like fine art, crafts, jewelry, pottery, photography, clothing, prepared food and more from over 180 exhibitors. To spice up the market, there will also be some local bands and musicians playing jazz, swing, blues, reggae, bluegrass, klezmer, a cappella, brass and more.

Now of course you can’t enjoy a proper holiday celebration without food, so the market provides some tastings from a few local establishments including: Alexa's Empanadas, Migue's Mini Donuts, The Taste of Germany and more.

Located on the sidewalk of F Street, between Seventh and Ninth Streets, NW, the market is right next to the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery to add another exciting aspect to your time there.

L&F Holiday Market — Lost and Found Bar DC

If you’re going to get lost, do it in this next holiday-themed venue. On Dec. 8, L&F will have a holiday market where you can shop from local vendors while enjoying some specialty holiday beers and cocktail treats to get in the holiday spirit. With the company asking guests to “support local and celebrate the holidays with us,” listen to some live holiday music while enjoying their large selection of beverages for an all-around cheery holiday. 

kbutler@theeagleonline.com