Fall Self-Care Photo.JPG

How to treat yourself this fall season

Here’s how to handle your self-care routine during the midterm frenzy

As the weather switches from a humid swamp in southern Florida to a crisp wind with ombre colored leaves, students need to pay extra attention to themselves, not only physically, but mentally. Students are also at a point in the semester where the workload can be so overwhelming that it causes them to ignore basic self-care. Here are some self-care tips to get you through midterms and the rest of the fall semester. 

Skin care

Skin care is a top priority as the weather gets colder. Having a proper skincare routine is a great way to de-stress between writing essays and studying for exams. Whether it be sheet masks, mud masks, clay masks or peel masks, there is a mask out there for all skin types that will leave you moisturized and blemish-free. A personal favorite face mask comes from the YES brand. Their charcoal paper sheet mask has helped with my breakouts that form when the weather changes. By extracting impurities from your skin, it leaves you looking like you could be in a Proactive commercial. But if you’re looking for something more hydrating, Shea Moisture offers multiple glow-boosting and moisturizing products for toned, smooth skin. 

Exercise

It may feel like a chore when you have so much schoolwork to do; however, exercise is extremely important during midterm season because it will benefit you mentally and physically. Exercise makes you stronger and helps you lose weight, but there are also great psychological benefits of being active. Working out is a great stress reliever after a long week of tests and homework. It focuses your mind on getting through a great workout session rather than laying in bed or debating if you should start your English essay a new episode on Netflix. 

There are plenty of ways to get active in the fall, such as the exercise classes offered by AU for yoga or weight-lifting. Visit the open gyms at Jacobs Fitness Center or Cassell Hall, or go hiking on the many trails surrounding campus that are beautifully colored by the leaves this time of year. 

Hair Care 

This goes for all hair types, but particularly to my fellow natural-hair people. As soon as fall hits, hair turns obnoxiously dry, and dealing with loads of schoolwork can make you forget to take care of it. Fortunately, there are multiple products to leave hair looking healthy and silky smooth. A personal favorite product is Miss Jessie’s leave-in condish. It works for wavy, curly, tight curly or transitioning hair and leaves it feeling incredibly nourished with no gross residue. A great curl definer comes from Cake Beauty, which makes your hair smell amazing and look incredibly bouncy when fall dries you out.

But if you’re looking for something even simpler, Shea Moisture also has an amazing Jamaican black castor oil hair masque, which includes shea butter, peppermint and apple cider vinegar. With ingredients that already scream spooky season, it’s obviously worth a try. 

Sleep

As we’re already halfway through the semester, we come to a time where many students are pulling all-nighters, crying about midterms or drowning in what seems like an endless sea of work. However, we cannot take for granted the importance of sleep during this time. The workload from classes during the fall increases a lot, leaving us feeling constantly drowsy. During this time, it’s great to think of time management and get work done in between classes, instead of waiting last minute and having to skip a whole night’s rest. Sleep prepares our bodies to take in the next day’s array of circumstances, but if we don’t give ourselves that downtime, there can be many negative effects, such as decrease in cognitive functions and increased risk of disease. 

With these self-care tips you’re bound to succeed through the fall semester.

kbutler@theeagleonline.com