DC Fashion week 2019.jpg

Show up in style to D.C. Fashion Week

Local and international designers introduce new style trends for 2020

D.C. Fashion Week is right around the corner and designers from around the District are showcasing their best looks for the event. Here are some upcoming events to attend if your closet is in need of a revamp, if you want to support local D.C. artists or if you want to pretend to be Anna Wintour for the day. 

D.C. Fashion Week Fashion Industry Networking Party  

This event, which is free and only for those aged 21 and older, aims to connect the public with designers, models, makeup artists, hair stylists, photographers and other fashion industry professionals. The networking party will be held at the Felt Bar and Lounge from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sept. 26. Attendees are expected to dress in “upscale casual” clothing, which essentially means cocktail party attire. This event is perfect for anyone who wants to network with an industry professional and have a fun night with friends!

Emerging Designers Showcase 

The D.C. Metropolitan and Emerging Designers and Indie Artists Showcase is a show that is focused on up-and-coming artists from the D.C. area. The show will include fashion in the forms of clothing, headwear, accessories and eyewear. Eleven designers will be presenting their art at fashion week.

This event is a fantastic look at metropolitan fashion through the eyes of people who live in the area and showcases works of art created by people from all different backgrounds. Several of the labels are black-owned, such as DahjayRenee, Frankies Customz Designs and Letwa Fashion Collection, and several products are made specifically for people of color, which is a market that is often overlooked in today’s fashion world. 

Other artists, such as EJE Intl Designs and Roots by Bella, are also pushing the boundaries of fashion by creating intricately designed, wearable works of art. This event will showcase live music from local artists and DJs. It will be held at the Liason Hotel on Sept. 28 at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m. The price for a general seating ticket to this event is $54.67. Seating is on a first-come-first-serve basis, so if you want to be close to all of the action, be sure to arrive early! 

International Couture Collections Show

The International Couture Collections showcase presents global fashion from various artists in the U.S. as well as Pakistan. As an attendee of the event, you can expect to see everything from Eileen L Bleyer Millinery’s intricate headwear that could be seen at a royal wedding, to colorful business casual style from DAM Fashions, to Salman Haye’s traditional Pakistani salwar kameez, a traditional Punjabi dress. The event will be held onSept. 29. Doors will open at 5 p.m. and the event will start at 6 p.m. at the French Embassy. The general admission ticket to this show costs $70, and there is free street parking on the day of the event. 

If you are a fan of couture, photography, modeling or any profession within the fashion world, these events are must-sees.

D.C. Fashion Week will be taking place from Sept. 27-29. More information about the event and tickets can be found here.                                                                                                               

sdiggs@theeagleonline.com