Kay Spiritual Life Center

Bryant Oskvig appointed interim chaplain to replace Mark Schaefer

Oskvig previously served as chaplain of Georgetown

The University has appointed Rev. Bryant Oskvig to serve as interim chaplain starting Oct. 1, according to an email sent to the AU community from Vice President of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence Fanta Aw on Friday.

Oskvig will replace the previous chaplain, Mark Schaefer, who left the University in mid-July, according to Aw.

Schaefer’s departure from the University was unexpected and Aw said she has not been in touch with Schaefer since his leave. When asked about the reason for Schaefer’s departure, Aw said, “These are personal matters that I am not in a position to speak to.”

Schaefer did not respond to The Eagle for comment.

Oskvig has worked on university campuses since 2006. Before coming to AU, he served as the director of Protestant Ministry and chaplain to the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown. He has also served in United Methodist congregations across New York, Maryland, Massachusetts and D.C.

According to Aw, Oskvig is committed to building an interfaith community, as well as social justice work. 

“[Oskvig] knows how to work with different faith traditions and can be a really strong anchor at the University,” Aw said.

During his time at Georgetown, Oskvig was involved in many church-related leadership roles, such as initiating alternative breaks for social justice work and mentoring the University’s gospel choir. 

“He's bringing in a vast set of experiences that are really relevant,” Aw said.

The interim chaplain position will be held by Oskvig for a year, while the University continues the search to permanently fill the position. 

aveitch@theeagleonline.com