Condoleezza Rice.jpg

Condoleezza Rice and Phillip Zelikow to speak at AU about upcoming book release

Former Secretary of State will discuss American leadership in international affairs

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will speak in Bender Arena on Sept. 12, along with co-author Phillip Zelikow to discuss the release of their book, “To Build a Better World,” the Kennedy Political Union announced on Thursday.

Rice will make a “compelling case for sustained, principled American leadership” to students based on the book, according to a KPU press release. She served as the 66th Secretary of State from 2005 to 2009 and was the first African American woman to hold the position. 

“To Build a Better World” will examine the pivotal decisions made by world leaders during the end of the Cold War that Rice believes modern day leaders can learn from. The event, which is being co-hosted by the School of International Service and the Sine Institute of Policy and Politics, aligns with the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. 

Originally from Birmingham, Alabama, Rice earned her bachelor’s degree in political science, her master’s degree from the University of Notre Dame and her Ph.D. from the University of Denver. In addition to working in foreign affairs under President George W. Bush, Rice is also respected scholar. She is a former provost and current political science professor at Stanford University and has co-authored numerous books about her experiences in diplomacy.

Doors for the event will open at 11:45 a.m. Admission is free to students with an AU ID and a ticket from Eventbrite

lcalitri@theeagleonline.com