dean rutenbeck

SOC Dean Jeff Rutenbeck steps down, professor Laura DeNardis to serve as interim SOC Dean

Rutenbeck will become provost at Arcadia University

The dean of the School of Communication, Jeffrey Rutenbeck, is stepping down to become the provost of Arcadia University, AU Provost Daniel Myers announced in an email to the AU community on May 31. 

During his time at AU, Rutenbeck expanded programs in SOC, including developing partnerships to expand the Dean's Internship program, which offers access to internships at D.C. media organizations. 

“Jeff Rutenbeck has done a tremendous job–the school is in very, very good condition, we’re sorry to see him go,” Myers told The Eagle.

Laura DeNardis, a SOC professor and former associate dean of the school, will take over as interim dean beginning July 1.

DeNardis is a globally recognized Internet governance scholar and author, and her work and teaching focuses on communication technology policy. At AU, DeNardis’s work for inclusive excellence earned her an award for outstanding support of LGBTQ students. She hopes to continue to empower students in today's ever-changing communication climate.

“I feel so passionate about the kinds of students we have at American University,” DeNardis said.  “It’s no surprise to me that we get ranked the most politically active. I’m incredibly proud of that and I want to support it.” 

Myers said that DeNardis is well-equipped for the interim position. 

“She's an excellent choice for this not only because of her own abilities and background, but because she's been right here in the middle of it,” Myers said.

The University will be conducting a nationwide search for a new permanent dean. Myers said that the University is looking for candidates who will be part of the broader effort to elevate AU. 

“I think the school’s on a great trajectory and we’ll be working very hard to get a dean that will keep us on that road forward,” Myers said.

aveitch@theeagleonline.com