Lydia Calitri

Lydia Calitri named The Eagle’s 2019-2020 editor-in-chief

Calitri is currently the paper’s online managing editor

The Eagle’s advisory board has elected Lydia Calitri, The Eagle’s current online managing editor, as its editor-in-chief for the 2019-2020 year.

As online managing editor, Calitri has overseen the newspaper’s social media, newsletter and web design teams. Under her leadership, The Eagle has expanded its reach on platforms like Instagram and Twitter and grown its email newsletter to reach 2,100 people each week. 

She has also played a role in all of the paper’s multimedia projects this year, assisting with page design and website management. Calitri was also charged with being the final editor on all content for The Eagle’s Silver Screen section, which focuses on film and television. 

Prior to beginning her role as online editor last fall, Calitri served as features editor for the news section for two semesters. As a freshman, she was one of two Student Government beat reporters, working alongside Maria Carrasco, who is now the paper’s managing editor for news. 

“From covering weekly AU Student Government Senate meetings to interviewing University President Sylvia Burwell, she has amazed me with her incredible reporting skills and her fearlessness to do this job,” Carrasco said. “As I leave this paper behind in May, I know she is the right person to be The Eagle's editor-in chief. She will push and expand our online presence while producing the same quality content The Eagle has always put out.”

Calitri’s plans for next year include a website redesign and a continued emphasis on multimedia, including photography, videos and graphics. 

Outside of The Eagle, Calitri works as a front desk assistant in the Kogod School of Business. She is a junior from Collegeville, Pennsylvania majoring in journalism and international business. She will assume the role of editor-in-chief in late April. 

hsamsel@theeagleonline.com