KPU Event

KPU and The Hill to host bipartisan panel on criminal justice reform at Newseum

Event will address FIRST STEP Act on Feb. 26

The Kennedy Political Union will host its fifth event with The Hill on Feb. 26 at the Newseum, this time discussing bipartisanship and criminal justice reform, the organization announced Wednesday. 

Speakers include House Judiciary Committee ranking member Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA), Director of Advocacy for the The Sentencing Project Nicole D. Porter and the Founder and Executive Director of The Ladies of Hope Ministries Topeka Sam. 

Part of the conversation will focus on recent bipartisan criminal justice reform legislation passed by Congress named the FIRST STEP Act. The legislation will affect several sentencing laws, including the “three strikes” penalty for drug felonies from life behind bars to 25 years. It would also limit the sentencing guidelines between crack and powder cocaine offenses, which would affect about 2,000 federal inmates. 

“The bipartisan FIRST STEP Act not only eases mandatory minimum sentences under federal law but also puts more of an emphasis on vocational and rehabilitative programs in prisons,” KPU wrote in a press release. 

The event is open to all students, faculty and staff with a valid AU ID. Students in attendance will receive free admission to the Newseum following the event. 

Guests should RSVP through The Hill’s website. Doors open at 8 a.m. with the event beginning at 8:30 a.m. This conversation is co-hosted with The Hill, The Hill Latino and the School of Public Affairs. 

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com