Bobby Seale

Black Panther Party co-founder Bobby Seale to speak at AU next week

Seale has continued his activism through authoring several books

Bobby Seale, the legendary civil rights activist and co-founder of the Black Panther Party, will speak at AU on Feb. 5, the Kennedy Political Union announced today.

After beginning his activism career as a college student in California, Seale rose to the national stage when he co-founded the party with Huey Newton in 1966. Known for their revolutionary image, the Black Panthers advocated for an end to black poverty in the U.S. as well as full employment and improved education and housing for black Americans. The party has been credited with pioneering a free school breakfast program that was later adopted by the federal government. 

At age 82, Seale continues his activism work through “speaking about community organizing and social justice, in addition to sharing his experience as a founder of the Black Panther Party,” according to a KPU press release. He has authored several books, including the 2016 “Power to the People: The World of the Black Panthers,” and will be selling and signing books at the event. 

The event will be held in MGC 2-5 at 7 p.m., with doors opening for the event at 6:30 p.m. The book signing will be held at 6:30 p.m. and following the event. Admission is free to students, and AU IDs will be checked at the door.

The event is co-sponsored with multiple organizations, including the NAACP, the Black Student Union, the African Students’ Organization, Alpha Phi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma, Kappa Alpha Psi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sigma Gamma Rho, Zeta Phi Beta, Caribbean Circle, the Antiracist Research and Policy Center, the Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars, the Ethiopian/Eritrean Student Association, Men of Empowerment and Excellence, and Sister Sister AU.

Correction: This article has been corrected to reflect KPU's decision to check IDs at the door of the event. 

aveitch@theeagleonline.com