Jim Sanborn 2

The Eagle's guide to the new and returning exhibits at the AU Museum this winter

Museum has brought in two new exhibits, including photography in Arab World

Many students have not yet taken advantage of the great art exhibits the AU Museum at the Katzen Arts Center presents. The museum consists of three floors with a variety of artwork through all mediums from oil on canvas to photography.

Now, the AU Museum has transitioned in some new exhibits ranging from mathematical wall drawings to photography in the Arab world. Here is your guide to the late fall exhibits, which will be on display from Nov. 10 to Dec. 16.

New Exhibits

The new additions to the museum that began on Nov. 10.

Ian Jehle: Dynamical Systems

Who ever said math and art can’t go together? According to Rebecca Basu, a public relations manager at AU, this exhibit focuses on mathematically-based, abstract wall drawings and large scale portraits of the members of the Washington art community.

Ian Jehle is a D.C. based artist and an adjunct professional lecturer for the Department of Art at AU and an expert in visual art and mechanical engineering. Students had the opportunity to collaborate with him on elements of the exhibit, which are based on algorithms. You will be able to find this exhibit in the Alper gallery and into the lobby on the first floor.

This exhibit is presented by the Alper Initiative for Washington Art and curated by Laura Roulet. There will be a gallery talk at the museum with Ian Jehle and Laura Roulet at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 29. You can RSVP here

Courtesy of Ian Jehle and AU Museum

Tribe: Contemporary Photography From the Arab World

”Tribe” features images and artists from a magazine founded in Dubai called Tribe. The magazine focuses on developments within photography and new media in the Arab World. 

The exhibit showcases a large field of imagery through different themes and also celebrates internationally acclaimed and recently recognized artists. The depiction of Arab culture is shown through the use of hues, shadows, and symbols. “Tribe” and the magazine hopes to give these wonderful artists a global stage where they can showcase their art and where people around the world are able to appreciate their skill.

This exhibit is curated by Professor and Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Creative Enterprises at Zayed University Janet Bellotto and Chair of Visual Communication and Professor of Art at the American University in Dubai Dr. Woodman Taylor.

Continuing Exhibits

These exhibits debuted early in the semester and will continue until Dec. 16.

Finding a Path Emilie Brzezinski and Dayla Luttwalk: A Conversation

This exhibit includes the work of two very similar artists that have never shown their works together. Brzezinski shows large wooden tree sculptures that show the importance of trees as representations of existence, whereas Luttwalk shows colored metal creations that are also inspired by growth and decay within nature of plant roots.

Together, these artists are trying to have a conversation about using nature as a way to understand a path in life and life itself. This exhibit was curated by Aneta Georgievska-Shine, a lecturer in the Department of Art History and Archaeology at the University of Maryland. 

Jim Sanborn’s Without Provenance: The Making of Contemporary Antiquity

This exhibit focuses on sculptural art and is a critique of the current art market that sells stolen or forged period pieces. Sanborn’s imaged world is where these forgers would be seen as gifted copyists. Their works would be brought as copies and valued for their ability to recreate the distant past of Khmer art. This exhibit provokes thought and reflection based on the beauty we experience from the art. The vision of Sanborn is for a very different art collecting world. For more information about what went into this exhibit and what Sanborn had to say about his work, read The Eagle’s previous coverage of the exhibit.

Selections from the Artery Collection

The Artery Collection is the largest private collection of Washington-area artists. The art in this collection has been picked over the 1970s and 1980s that depicts the imagination of the Washington art world. The work showcased in this exhibit is meant to depict a wide outreach and variation of artistic styles. This exhibit includes works by William Christenberry, Manon Cleary, and many more. 

This exhibition was curated by Annie Gawlak, Linda Lichtenberg Kaplan, Vivienne M. Lassman, James Mahoney and Andrea Pollan. 

Photo courtesy of Sam Gilliam and AU Museum

A major perk of the AU Museum at the Katzen is it is free to all and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 11a.m. to 4 p.m. The museum also offers tours every Friday starting at 11:30 a.m.

life@theeagleonline.com