Katzen Arts Center Stock Image

From “Pippin” to concerts, here are AU’s music offerings this fall

Check out the fall calendar from the Department of Performing Arts

From classical performances to upbeat musicals, there’s something for everyone to see at AU this semester, especially in the world of music within the Department of Performing Arts. There’s never a shortage of performances at AU, so here are The Eagle’s highlights from the fall semester calendar.

Pippin

“Pippin” is a musical with a score by Stephen Schwartz (“Wicked,” “Godspell,” “Prince of Egypt”) that has been inspiring performers and audiences alike for years. The show follows Pippin, a prince searching for meaning in his life who goes to war in an attempt to prove himself to his father, the king. This dramatic and intense plot, mixed with a romantic subplot and tons of music, is definitely a show to see. The production will be directed by Isaiah Wooden, music directed by Nathan Beary Blustein and choreographed by Britta Joy Peterson.

When: Oct. 18-20, 26-27 at 8 p.m., with 2 p.m. matinees on Oct. 20 and 27

Where: Greenberg Theater

Tickets: $10-15

All-American Weekend Concert

AU’s Gospel Choir will be performing the first time this year at their annual concert for All-American Weekend while all the parents of students are bustling on campus. Come see classic gospel pieces, including a special tribute to the queen Aretha Franklin. The choir will have you on your feet in no time, and everyone is welcome.

When: Oct. 20 at 5 p.m.

Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

Tickets: FREE

B-List Composers

This is the first performance of the year for AU’s Chamber Orchestra, which will be performing works by composers like Beethoven, Bach and Borodin (hence the “B-list”). The orchestra will start off on the right foot with exciting and challenging pieces like Beethoven’s first symphony.

When: Oct. 27 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Abramson Family Recital Hall at the Katzen Arts Center

Tickets: $5-10

In Our Hands

The American University Chamber Singers are preparing for their spring European tour with a performance of a collection of music from the New World. These songs from all over the Americas will end with “To the Hands” by Pulitzer Prize winner Caroline Shaw.

When: Nov. 4 at 3 p.m.

Tickets: $10

Rejoice!

This performance by the American University Chorus highlights the beauty of English choral music in the early twentieth century. With works from many famous composers of the time like Gerald Finzi, Herbert Howells, Benjamin Britten and Ralph Vaughan Williams, audiences are invited to rejoice through song with the chorus.

When: Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 11 at 3 p.m.

Tickets: $10

AU Workshop: Shared Space

This event is more interactive than other performances at AU this fall. The “Shared Space” workshop will focus on what it means to share space in terms of music. It takes inspiration from the percussion work of the same name.

When: Nov. 16 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $10

Modern Classics

This show will include a huge variety of musical performances. Works by Carolyn Bremer, David Maslanka, John Mackey, and Oscar Navarro will be included, among others. The range of this show is sure to have something for everyone’s musical tastes.

When: Nov. 18 at 3 p.m.

Tickets: $5-10

The Atomic Mr. Basie

Who doesn’t love jazz? Everyone can groove to the Jazz Orchestra’s performance of an album that inspired a generation of jazz music. “The Atomic Mr. Basie” was originally released in 1958 and received critical acclaim for its ingenuity and boldness.

When: Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $5-10

Glazunov Menagerie

The AU Symphony Orchestra will be performing “Symphony No. 5” by Alexander Glazunov as well as other classical works by Russian musicians he inspired. This performance is an opportunity to learn about music from this time and culture, as well as enjoy the sophisticated pieces from these composers.

When: Dec. 1 at 7:30 p.m. and December 2 at 3 p.m.

Tickets: $5-10

Theater and Musical Theater Senior Capstone

Come support graduating musical theater and theater students in a performance of their own original works to display all they’ve learned in their performing arts education. Some of the themes in these shows may be mature.

When: Dec. 6-8 at 8 p.m. and Dec. 8 at 2 p.m.

Where: Studio Theater at Katzen Arts Center

Tickets: $10-15

music@theeagleonline.com