Eagle Logo

Staff editorial: In support of Latinx students targeted by the anti-immigration poster campaign

The Eagle staff is committed to supporting Latinx and undocumented students

The AU Latinx and immigrant communities were recently the target of xenophobic rhetoric in posters plastered around campus. The Eagle stands firm in its commitment to Latinx and undocumented students. We support, love and wish to uplift the Latinx community here at American University.

The Eagle recognizes that the Latinx community has been doubly burdened, existing in a campus community and university administration that has not lived up to its values of diversity and an outside community that wishes harm upon them. 

Latinx and undocumented students deserve to feel and be safe and included on campus. We encourage the university to continue investing in its support systems for marginalized communities by Latinx arming students with information to identify and report suspicious behavior on campus and by having active presence within their student community.

As a student organization, The Eagle pledges to continue, through our diversity and inclusion committee, internal recruiting efforts that better represent our community. We also will continue building relationships and improving our coverage of the Latinx community in our reporting.

More importantly, we would like to open our Identities section as a space for the Latinx community to express itself in the unique way that only it can. Anyone interested in contributing can email opinion@theeagleonline.com for more information.

-E

opinion@theeagleonline.com