Campus Study Spots

The Eagle’s guide to AU’s best study spots

Whatever your study needs are, we’ve got a spot for you

To get your work done on time, you first need a good study spot.

It can be hard to focus on tedious readings while in the comfort of your bed. If you can’t find a spot that fits the specific atmosphere you need, check out these great study spots on campus.

For students seeking a quiet spot

Sometimes, we all need to sit in complete and total silence, the only noise coming from the shuffling of pages and the rattling of computer keys. If you’re the type of person who needs silence to study well, these spots are for you.

McKinley, third floor

On the third floor of McKinley, home to the School of Communication, there is a collection of lounge chairs, booths and high top tables, perfect for every type of studier. The third floor is full of students silently reading, writing essays or even furiously typing on their keyboards. The atmosphere is calm and still─perfect for those who like to study in quiet, relaxing places.

A huge bonus for those who study in the daytime is this building’s abundance of natural light, cutting harsh overhead light to a minimum. Find a seat, get comfortable and study away.

Library, second floor

The second floor is designated as the silent floor, and is often so quiet that only students’ breathing can be heard. This space offers cubicles, long tables facing the wall, and booths near the windows.

While the library is an obvious study choice, many students do not know know how to utilize its many resources, like the study rooms that are available to rent.

Using the study room website to find a room and a time, students can study alone in silence. Students can also reserve rooms for the first and third floors.

Another perk to studying in the library is the ability to rent headphones from the front desk on the first floor. This way, anyone can drown out noise, no matter where they are.

For those who like background noise

If you’re willing to trade absolute silence for that perfect coffee shop aesthetic, or just an energized atmosphere, these study spots are for you.

McKinley, courtyard

While the third floor tends to be rather quiet on the inside, McKinley’s courtyard is usually reserved for those who like to talk and study. Sit at one of the tables outside, and enjoy some natural sunlight and fresh air. A secret most people don’t know is unlike most outside study spots, the courtyard has outlets, so you don’t ever have to worry about your laptop dying in the middle of writing an important essay. As the weather is starting to become cooler, it’s the best outside spot to study.

SIS, atrium

For those of you who like natural sunlight, but prefer to be indoors and don’t need to study in absolute silence, the SIS atrium is a perfect fit. Students can even study on the Spanish Steps, a set of stairs that double as a study spot with built in electrical outlets. On any given day, you can see groups of students studying, drinking coffee from the Dav with friends or just relaxing before class.

For group studiers or group projects

Battelle-Tompkins, atrium

The Battelle atrium, located on the first floor of the Battelle-Tompkins Building, is a place to be collaborative. Groups can study at one of the many atrium tables, and work in relative silence. The atrium has a very different atmosphere from most other places on campus, making it a place for the arts, where people can feel free to get in touch with their creative side. The Battelle Atrium has tables big enough to fit up to six people in a group, which allows for collaboration, conversation and creation.

SIS, second and third floors

The second floor of SIS provides a study environment similar to the one in the SIS atrium, but a little more private and quiet. The second floor has tables and chairs on a balcony, so groups can still get the atmosphere of the atrium but bigger tables and a quieter space. Alternatively, the second floor has study rooms that groups can enter and work in with privacy. Unlike the library, these rooms don’t have to be reserved, so students can find one that works anytime they are open.

Finding a good spot to study can be an arduous task. Some seek out places off campus, which can be time-consuming and pricey, while others may never find the right on-campus spot. Try these tips and suggestions to a study spot that fits all your needs.

life@theeagleonline.com