The Eagle’s guide to Welcome Week for foodies on a budget

Satisfy your cravings at events hosted by campus organizations

There are many ways to bond with your fellow freshmen during Welcome Week, but, what better way than over something everyone loves: food? From barbecues and late night breakfasts, to snacks and drinks at a game night, the offices of University Center and Student Activities provide all sorts of delicious food for even the pickiest of eaters, along with other sponsoring organizations. Nearly all of the Welcome Week events have some free food, but these are the best ones for a starving college student to hit up.

Late Night Breakfast

This tradition may be the most loved and the most hated. No matter what your stance is on brunch in the Terrace Dining Room, known as TDR, it is a good opportunity to meet some new people. This event will be Saturday, Aug. 19 from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. in TDR. Quintessential American breakfast foods, like pancakes, waffles, bacon, eggs and more, are served buffet style─giving freshmen a glimpse of many mornings to come throughout the semester.

Student Government Secretary Kris Schneider, who helped plan and market programming for Welcome Week, said that this event is one of the most popular─and not only because of the breakfast food.

“I think overall it’s a great exercise … for the incoming class to not only get acquainted with how TDR works.” Schneider said, for example, but, “You’re with basically everyone else in your class,” Schneider said. “It’s indispensable to be able to access your student leaders on your first day and learn more about what we’re about.”

All-American BBQ

This long-standing tradition, sponsored by AU Dining and Aramark, will happen on Friday, August 25, at 4 p.m. on none other than the Quad, Schneider said. Wrap up your Welcome Week with some delicious barbecue, then head on over to the Minute to Win It event after to win prizes for completing crazy tasks in under a minute. This picnic used to be a precursor to the annual AU night at the Nationals’ baseball game. Even though AU ended its partnership with Nationals in 2016, the barbecue lives on.

Block Party

Don’t miss out on arguably the biggest, and newest, event of the week on Saturday, Aug. 26 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the Quad. You can eat around the world with food sponsored by several multicultural clubs on campus. In addition to that deliciousness, incoming students can learn more about organizations on campus and get pumped for the Student Union Board concert later that night. You don’t want to miss this event, dubbed an “opportunity to find your home away from home.”

Quad After Dark

On Thursday, Aug. 24 at 9 p.m., the Quad will be transformed into a carnival. With several rides and snacks, you will feel like you’ve been transported to a carnival. Load up on free popcorn, cotton candy and more, and check out the vendors, all until midnight.

Late Night at The Rec

If you’re a health nut or feel guilty from indulging on unhealthy food, stop in at Late Night at The Rec on Monday, August 21 at 9 p.m. to play games, meet new friends and the AU Rec team. Snacks will be served at this event, according to Schneider, but given the theme of athletics, the snacks will be healthy fruits and veggies. Start your week off right with some guilt-free snacks.

'90s Throwback Night

The name of the game is nostalgia with ‘90s Throwback Night on Tuesday, Aug. 22 at 9 p.m. Take it back to one of the best decades with a glow-in-the-dark arcade and a full-size roller rink. Munch on some delicious comfort food, like chicken tenders and mac and cheese, throughout the night, too. It’ll be a night of childhood favorites that can’t be beat.

Don’t forget to say hello to our new president, Sylvia Burwell, and try out some food trucks at the Celebrate AU event on the first day of classes. There aren’t too many opportunities after this week to get free food, so don’t miss out on these plentiful events.

emartin@theeagleonline.com