Sunday, June 23, 2024
syria

Preview: Through Refugees’ Eyes

Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars organize a multimedia event for refugee crisis

The Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars Program is hosting a multimedia event, “Through Refugees’ Eyes Summit,” on April 15 to create awareness about the many refugees around the world.

The event will include a panel moderated by University Chaplain Rev. Mark A. Schaefer and will feature AU students who are refugees, Professor Tazreena Sajjad from the School of International Service, a representative from Refugees International and Alhareth Rashad, a former refugee camp aid worker.

After the panel, the event will continue with a banquet catered by Mozaic Kitchen, a nonprofit organization that hires refugees from the Middle East.

Hana Manadath, a freshman in the School of International Service, said the Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars are hosting the event after visiting refugee camps in Greece.

“After we came back from Greece, we didn’t want to see everything we saw in the refugee camps and not do something about it,” Manadath said. “We thought it would be an injustice to the people that we saw.”

Refugees’ experiences will be reflected through a photography exhibit featuring the works of Abdulazez Dukhan and Hassan Alhomse. Through their photography, Dukhan and Alhomse are able to give a glimpse into the daily life of refugees and their living conditions.

The gallery will also feature some photos Manadath has captured at the refugee camps.

Syrian handicrafts will be on sale as well as henna tattoos, and spoken word poet Meriem Ziad will perform at the event later on in the day.

Sophia Celeste Vos, a sophomore in the School of International Service who also visited Greece, said the scholars wanted to fundraise for an organization that has made a significant difference in the lives of refugees and their living conditions.

“It is a privilege to be exposed to other people’s trauma and use that in a way to impact in some way,” Vos said.

All of the proceeds from the event will benefit the nonprofit SCM Medical Missions, which aids refugee camps in Greece and North Africa. Donations can also be made here.

Through Refugees’ Eyes Summit will take place on Saturday, April 15 at 12-5 p.m. in the Katzen Art Center. Free admission.

arts@theeagleonline.com

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.