Concert Review: Regina Spektor

New York-based singer-songwriter Regina Spektor shows fans that the best is yet to come

Seven studio albums in and New York based singer-songwriter and pianist Regina Spektor is at the top of her game. Playing for over two hours at the historic D.A.R. Constitution Hall on March 14, Spektor once again proved that her best days are quite possibly yet to come.

Spektor conveyed her deep gratitude to the crowd for making it to the venue despite the blizzard facing much of the East Coast. Playing the majority of her excellent 2016 album, “Remember Us to Life,” as well as some hits from her over 15-year career in the industry, Spektor delivered a crowd-pleasing, heartfelt and dazzling performance.

New songs, “Small Bill$” and “Obsolete,” as well as early hits, “Us” and “Samson,” illustrate not only that Spektor’s voice is an effective and engaging musical instrument, but also that she has one of the best American voices in the industry.

Washington, D.C. was no ordinary tour stop for Spektor, who is playing dates all around the country into April. "I showed up to this great country as a refugee," she said, referencing her mixed feelings about coming to the city under the new presidential administration. However, after touring the monuments and speaking to people taking in the sites, Spektor felt inspired, and noted that "this is everybody's America, this is everybody's Washington, D.C."

Spektor is as charming, thought-provoking and talented as they come, and the audience at D.A.R. on Tuesday night was well aware. Calls of “I love you” from the crowd followed nearly every song during Spektor’s set, helping fuel the singer and her talented band’s energy as they played over 20 songs, culminating in a lengthy and well-deserved standing ovation.

growell@theeagleonline.com