National Gallery of Art

Life After Hours: Feb. 3-5

Start February right with celebrations for Black History Month and the Chinese New Year throughout the city

Although some Metro stations will be closed this weekend, you can still venture further into the District for lots of fun. Kick off February with restaurant week, theatrical performances and more Chinese New Year celebrations!

D.C. Restaurant Week

D.C. Restaurant Week is wrapping up this weekend, but there’s still time to enjoy some discounted gourmet food! Participating restaurants around D.C. are offering three course lunch specials for $22 and three course dinner specials for $35. Since we live in the brunch capital, three course brunch specials are also offered for $22. Now is your time to try those famous gourmet D.C. restaurants on a college student’s budget. Be sure to check the website for participating locations, and our picks for guidance!

When: Now through Feb. 5

Where: Participating locations

Slave Spy: The Story of James Lafayette

Start off Black History Month by learning about the role of slaves in the American Revolution. The International Spy Museum is staging this original one-act play recounting the story of James Lafayette, an enslaved African American spy from Virginia. Lafayette worked for the Continental Army under the Marquis de Lafayette and went undercover to spy on the British opposition. Admission to the half-hour show is free with a museum admission cost of $21.95.

When: Saturday, Feb. 4 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Where: International Spy Museum at 800 F St. NW

Metro: Red line, Gallery Place/Chinatown station

Civil War Re-enactments

Continue learning about black history by going to see the ladies of FREED (Female RE-Enactors of Distinction) perform stirring re-enactments depicting the lives and contributions of black women during the Civil War era. FREED is a part of the African American Civil War Museum, and they work to “educate the public and to promote the accomplishments of the African American Civil War soldiers and the women who supported their fight for freedom.” Admission to the performance is free.

When: Saturday, Feb. 4 at 2:30 p.m.

Where: Chevy Chase Public Library at 5625 Connecticut Ave. NW

Metro: Red line, Friendship Heights station

Reseeing Iran: Twenty-First Annual Iranian Film Festival

Enjoy this free screening of the film “Radio Dreams” as part of the National Gallery of Art’s twenty-first annual Iranian Film Festival. “Radio Dreams” features Mohsen Namjoo as Hamid Royani, the program director of a radio station. Royani is exasperated with the station’s programming, so one day he manages to get the band Metallica to agree to jam on-air with Afghan rock group Kabul Dreams. The film is full of humor as Royani’s plans falter and the band’s arrival continues to be delayed. NGA is screening “Radio Dreams” in Persian and English with subtitles.

When: Saturday, Feb. 8 at 4:30 p.m.

Where: National Gallery of Art at 6th & Constitution Ave. NW

Metro: Green or Yellow line, Archives-Navy Memorial-Penn Quarter station

Kennedy Center Chinese New Year Family Day

Although this event is planned for families, students can also enjoy several activities to celebrate the Chinese New Year. The Kennedy Center will help attendees learn the arts of paper cutting, Beijing-style applique, calligraphy and Chinese makeup, as well as staging performances by Beijing acrobats and Chinese musicians. The day will be filled with activities and entertainment for all ages, and admission is free with no tickets required.

When: Saturday, Feb. 4 from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 2700 F St. NW

Metro: Orange, Blue or Silver line, Foggy Bottom/George Washington University station

Chinese New Year Celebration

Ring in the Year of the Rooster with the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and their third annual Chinese New Year celebration. The event is cosponsored by the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China and will feature Beijing Opera performances by students from the Beijing Opera Arts College, Chinese acrobatic performances, calligraphy demonstrations, paper cutting, sugar painting, dough figurines and more. Admission to the celebration is free, and Chinese food will be available for purchase. 

When: Sunday, Feb. 5 from 11 a.m to 5 p.m.

Where: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and S. Dillon Ripley Center at 1050 Independence Ave. SW

emartin@theeagleonline.com