Dime a Dozen

Preview: Winter musical and theater performances

Check out what performances AU students have in store this month

Before getting ready for the dreaded finals season, take some time to unwind this month by attending one of AU’s musical or theatrical performances. Whether you love acapella, musicals or smooth jazz, there are plenty of shows you can see without leaving campus. Chances are you even know one of the students performing, so go out alone or with friends and enjoy the talent your fellow students have to offer.

AU Rude Mechanical’s “The Changeling”

The Rude Mechanicals are an AU theatre troupe dedicated to creative performances of William Shakespeare’s plays as well as other plays from the Elizabethan and Jacobean eras. “The Changeling,” directed by student Emma Hooks, focuses on the drama of a Spanish noble family. Beatrice-Joanna (Sabrina Koss), the daughter of a wealthy nobleman, is engaged to Alonzo (Jake Andrejat) but falls in love with Alsemero (Lukas Lehmann). In order to be with Alsemero, she hires DeFlores (Shae McDonald), her father’s servant, to murder Alonzo -- but unbeknownst to Beatrice, DeFlores harbors a secret love for her. A dark story of lust, murder and infidelity, this Shakespeare-era play will be interpreted by the Rudes with a genderbent twist.

When: Dec. 1 - 3, 8:30 p.m.

Where: Kreeger Auditorium

Tickets: $5-7

AU Jazz Orchestra, “Fall for Jazz”

AU’s Jazz Orchestra and the Jazz Academy of Music will come together for a night of music tonight. The AU Jazz Orchestra will be conducted by Joshua Bayer, an AU musician in residence and a renowned jazz guitarist and bassist, while the Jazz Academy of Music will be conducted by Paul Carr, a celebrated jazz saxophonist and the founder of the academy. Sit back and listen to the big band sounds, including swing, bebop and blues.

When: Dec. 2, 8 p.m. -10 p.m.

Where: Katzen Arts Center

Tickets: $5-10

AU Arts Department, “Amid the Winter Snow”

Listen to the AU Chorus sing works by composers Eric Whitacre, Ola Gjeilo, Daniel Pinkham and Benjamin Britten. Directed by Casey Cook, chorus director in residence, the show will center around the themes of love, marriage and the birth of a child. The performances run for three days, so take some time out of your weekend to let the music carry you away.

When: Dec. 3 - 4, with shows 8 p.m. on December 3 and 2 p.m. on December 4

Where: Katzen Arts Center

Tickets: $5-10

AU Player’s “Hair”

The AU Players is a student run theatre group which strives to provide challenging, provocative, and diverse theatrical experiences for the student body. This winter, let the sunshine in and check out the AU Player’s musical production of “Hair.” Set in the 1960s during the Vietnam War, “Hair” follows friends Claude, Sheila and Berger - played by students Drew Bondy, Sophia Paynter and William Peters - as they struggle to balance their lives, loves and the sexual revolution with their rebellion against the war, their conservative parents and society. Ultimately, Claude must decide if he will resist the war draft or follow the pressure of the status quo and serve in Vietnam. Directed by students Kaeli Patchen and Carolina Chaimovich, “Hair” is sure to be a fun night with a blast from the past.

When: Dec. 8 - 10 with shows 8 p.m. on Dec. 8 - 9 and 2 p.m. on Dec.10

Where: Katzen Arts Center

Tickets: $7-10

AU A Capella Concerts

While you wait for “Pitch Perfect 3” to come out, why not spend the night listening to AU’s own acapella groups? Best of all - every performance is free!

Pitches Be Trippin’

Pitches Be Trippin’, one of AU’s all-female a capella groups, is known for its energy and dedication to music, womanhood and art. The group’s fall final concert “Pitches Grab Back” is no exception. During a time that is increasingly difficult to be a woman, you are sure to feel empowered by their celebration of art and womanhood.

When: Dec. 2, 8:30 p.m.

Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

On a Sensual Note

AU’s only all-male a capella group On a Sensual Note is known for pitch perfect vocals. This winter, make sure to check out the group’s 20th anniversary and reunion concert “A Mid-Life Christmas.” Enjoy the sounds of the holiday as you’re serenaded by these guys in ties.

When: Dec. 9, 7:45 p.m.

Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

Dime a Dozen

AU’s oldest and only co-ed acappella group, will be performing “Snowed in with Dime.” Covering a diverse repertoire of songs, Dime a Dozen invites you to escape the stress of finals and lose yourself in the music.

When: Dec. 10, 8:30 p.m.

Where: Battelle Atrium

Treble in Paradise

Treble in Paradise, the oldest all-female a capella group on campus, presents “All Bundled Up” as their winter concert this year The performance will feature a collection of pop hits and holiday songs. The group invites you bring your friends for a night of fun and ugly holiday sweaters.

When: Dec. 10, 7 p.m.

Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

nzeigler@theeagleonline.com