The headquarters of Capital Fringe. The annual Capital Fringe Fest runs July 7- 31.

The Weekend Scene: July 15-17

Theater and improv dominate the capital this weekend

Capital Fringe Festival

This year’s Capital Fringe Festival began last week, and will run until July 31. The theater festival is known for showcasing interesting and unconventional theater, art and dance on the Gallaudet University campus and around the city. The festival’s shows this year range in topics from millennial dating to Edgar Allen Poe. General admission for each show is $17, or you can buy multi-show passes starting at $60.

When: July 7 - 31

Where: Logan Fringe Arts Space, 1358 Florida Ave. NE, Gallaudet University

Metro: NoMa - Gallaudet U, Red Line

Upright Citizens Brigade

The famous NYC improv group founded in part by Amy Poehler, and has helped launch the careers of people like Jessica Williams is currently playing its first residence outside of New York and LA at DC’s Woolly Mammoth Theater. Stop by to see tomorrow’s comedy greats, and get plenty of laughs. Anyone under 30 can purchase tickets for only $20 and there are shows every night except Mondays.

When: July 12 - 31

Where: 641 D St NW

Metro: Judiciary Square Metro, Red Line

Citi Open Tennis Classic

Tennis fans can’t miss this showcase of top tennis talent here in DC. Plus, a portion of the proceeds from the tournament go to Washington Tennis & Education Foundation, which helps low income DC students learn tennis. Tickets for a single session start at $10, with multi-day packages available as well.

When: July 16 - 24

Where: Rock Creek Tennis Center

16th & Kennedy Streets, NW

Metro: Van Ness - UDC, Red Line, with free shuttle service to the center

March on Washington Film Festival

The 2016 March on Washington Film Festival, which began on Wednesday, showcases films about the famous march, as well as the entire civil rights movement of the 1960s. Some of this year’s films include documentaries on topics like Nina Simone, Maya Angelou and the Howard University men’s soccer team.

When: July 13 - 23

Where: Screenings will be held all over the city, check website for details

ewilliams@theeagleonline.com