CAS senior Halle Edinboro, right, and me, proving our worth in a Muzette private karaoke room.

The Weekend Scene: April 28-May 1

Not your average weekend scene

Each week, The Eagle publishes a Weekend Scene compiling art, music and food events in the D.C. area. As it is Scene writer Katerina Pappas’ last time writing the Weekend Scene, she’s included her favorite weekend spots. This is not a regular weekend scene, instead it is a recommendation for the future of AU.

WikiHow published a 15 step manual to “finding yourself.” This is mine.

Muzette

An old cement staircase in the heart of Adams Morgan leads down to a door that reads, “eat, drink, sing.” Hands intertwined tightly with your friends, you take your first step into stardom. What does fame feel like? I couldn’t tell you. But I could tell you what it looks like: a private room in the back of a Korean restaurant sincerely belting your “favorite song” (Total Eclipse of the Heart, Glee Version), and then, “wait I swear THIS is my favorite song” (I Dreamed A Dream feat. your overconfident vocal riffs.)

With over 70,000 song selections, in various languages, you can have fun with your best friends (or your worst enemies, if you’re vehemently trying to “prove a point” about modern theatre.) If you’re not much of a performer, have no fear, Muzette is for everyone, Yelp reviewer, Thomas W. from Arlington, VA. commented that Muzette is, “a good place for introverts.”

When: Tuesday-Thursday 5 p.m.- 2 a.m., Friday-Saturday 5 p.m.-3 a.m., Sunday 5 p.m.-2 a.m.

Where: 2305 18th St. NW

Metro: Red Line, Dupont Circle

Town Tavern

Named number 11 on Complex’s “Douchiest Bars in Washington, D.C.” and number one in our hearts, Town Tavern is a lawless abandon to call home. If you enjoy losing yourself to the same god sent playlist every weekend including top hits like Uptown Funk, Gold Digger and Don’t Stop Believin’ you will thrive in Town Tavern.

This bar serves drinks in plastic cups, is frequented by everyone you usually try and avoid and has an area of raised dance-weathered wood (“the stage”) that is as hotly contested as a spot in that play everyone in A Chorus Line is auditioning for. A beautiful place with beautiful people, or at least that’s what it feels like. Dancers’ high can be felt days after exposure.

When: Tuesday-Thursday, Sunday 5 p.m.-2 a.m., Friday 5 p.m.-3 a.m., Sunday 12 p.m.-2 a.m.

Where: 2323 18th St. NW

Metro: Red Line, Dupont Circle

Columbia Station

It’s 1 a.m., you’re out of breath and you milked every ounce of youthful joy from Town Tavern -- where to next? Columbia Station, a self proclaimed, “no frills watering hole.” It is directly to the left of Town Tavern in Adams Morgan and has live jazz every night, including performances by members of Shannon Gunn and the Bullettes, an all woman D.C. jazz orchestra band. The lights are low, the crowd is friendly and it’s the perfect place to offset dancers’ high.

When: Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 5 p.m.-2 a.m., Friday-Saturday, 5 p.m.-3 a.m.

Where: 2325 18th St, NW

Metro: Red Line, Dupont Circle

Cactus Cantina

During winter storm Jonas, students infiltrated the snow filled Massachusetts Ave. with sleds and beer, creating a Fargo-meets-Girls-Gone-Wild landscape. When everywhere in D.C. shut down, Cactus Cantina stayed open through several feet of snow and un-driveable roads, proving its devotion to the people of D.C. This Tex-Mex landmark, with 45 one-star ratings on yelp (apparently 45 people in D.C. have standards and I have not met one of them) is an average place to eat and a great place to drink. Some classic dishes include enchiladas, tacos and burritos, and some old-reliable drinks including frozen margaritas, strawberry margaritas or a “swirl” of both for the undecided patron. Located just a short walk from campus, it’s a spot no AU student should live without.

When: Sunday-Wednesday, 11a.m.-10p.m., Thursday-Saturday, 11a.m.-11p.m.

Where: 3300 Wisconsin Ave, NW

kpappas@theeagleonline.com