Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024
DKA Film festival

Delta Kappa Alpha’s film festival showcases hidden talent

AU cinema fraternity’s second annual film festival is a night of creativity

AU’s own version of the Oscars took place this April when professional cinema fraternity Delta Kappa Alpha hosted its second annual Film Festival in collaboration with the School of Communication’s American Visions Awards organization. Held in MGC’s Wechsler Theater on April 8, the event pulled off its award show vibe with the help of sparkling cider, cocktail shrimp and a life-size cutout of Leonardo DiCaprio.

Film and Media Arts Division Director John Douglass kicked off the festival with an overview of what was to come -- and some snarky jokes -- before DKA brothers Arshum Rouhanian and Jonathan Shander took over as hosts. While their attempts to channel an Ellen DeGeneres-level of wit didn’t really succeed, Rouhanian and Shander kept the audience engaged and hyped throughout the entire night, leading the crowd in drumrolls and snaps for award reveals.

The festival covered five different categories: Music Video, Experimental, Short Documentary Film, Photography and Short Fiction Film. With plots that covered everything from Dutch windmills and monsters under the bed to the perils of capitalism, the films were all expertly crafted and captivating to watch.

It was easy to get as invested in the awards as though it were the Oscars -- audience members whispered their top picks to each other, and cheered with the announcements of awards for best cinematography, directing, and writing, among others. “Milujete Mne?”, an eerie fiction film following a nine-year-old girl’s attempts to win the heart of her teacher, stole the show by taking home four awards, including Best Film.

The crowd was mainly made up of DKA brothers, and inside jokes abounded during the event -- most memorably an “In Memoriam” segment dedicated to a goldfish. However, the film festival would be the perfect change of pace for anyone interested in seeing AU’s artistic side. If you’re looking for a night of entertainment and creativity, make sure to check out the film festival next year.