The Scene’s Top Five Songs of the Week

The Scene prides itself on staying up to date on the latest music from artists across all genres. Check out the best releases from this past week in the Scene’s “Top Five Songs of the Week.” Ranging from electronic-folk to punk-rock-rap, this week has been full of small-scale SoundCloud posts, but don’t judge a song by its number of plays.

Jay Prince: “Heights

Hearing Jay Prince’s voice, even a casual hip-hop fan will find it impossible to not immediately think of Kendrick Lamar. Yet Prince is still able to establish himself as a unique musician through his lyrics and choice of production. On “Heights,” Prince raps over a smooth, Brazilian-inspired instrumental reminiscent of Sango’s recent work. On his first song of 2016, it is all about Prince’s optimism for the coming year. As the title suggests, Prince plans to take his music and his life to new heights in the next 11 months.

Matt Champion: “Punks

If you have heard of Kevin Abstract, you may have heard of Brockhampton, and if you have heard of them, then maybe you have heard of Matt Champion. Kevin Abstract is a rapper and singer from Texas who leads a self-declared boy band known as Brockhampton, which counts Matt Champion as one of its members. “Punks” has a clear message: Matt Champion is a punk. The lyrics are catchy and fun, but what carries the song is its production. Romil has established himself as Brockhampton’s driving producer and his basic yet heavy drums and inspiring synth melodies prevail in “Punks.”

Gallant (featuring. Jhené Aiko): “Skipping Stones

The thought of a Gallant and Jhené Aiko collaboration will excite anyone who enjoys soul and electronic music. Gallant, a singer and producer from Washington D.C., is best known for his song, “Weight in Gold,” which became one of 2015’s most popular songs to remix. With “Skipping Stones,” he confidently walks the line between soul and electronic music, in a genre that has recently been labeled as future-soul. Gallant shows off his wide vocal range with some impressive falsettos and completely carries “Skipping Stones.” While Aiko’s voice complements Gallant’s, she has a somewhat diminished part in the song and mainly adds to the harmony rather than having her own, extended solo.

Tinashe (produced by Metro Boomin): “Ride of Your Life

Metro Boomin simply can’t stop making hits. He is undoubtedly one of the most in demand producers at the moment, and this song with Tinashe will only increase his popularity. The catchy chorus seems likely to to make this song a genuine hit, but Tinashe’s vocals steal the show. She vibes through the whole song with the confidence of a superstar. Tinashe fans will now be even more excited for the upcoming release of her latest album, “JoyRide.”

Kyson: “You

Winding things down to close out the list, Kyson’s “You” is a soothing, thoughtful reflection on a past relationship. Kyson’s voice falls somewhere between Paul Simon and Alt-J, and his music combines touches of both folk and electronic music. Basic guitar melodies are heard throughout the song and are paired with ambient electronic instrumentals at various intervals. Overall, it’s a gentle song and might put someone to sleep if they are already drowsy, but meaningful lyrics and creative blending make this song a must listen.

jstringer@theeagleonline.com