spring valley building

Spring Valley Building to house some academic programs

The building is set to open in fall 2016, and the red route shuttle will continue to run

With the completion of the new Washington College of Law’s Tenley Campus, the school’s former location, now known as the Spring Valley Building, will become home to a number of administrative offices as well as the School of Education and the School of Professional and Extended Studies.

A project team spent the last few months planning which departments and offices would be best suited to move to the Spring Valley Building in fall 2016, according to a November 2015 press release to the AU community. The current proposal lists 18 departments and/or offices that could move to the building in the fall, but it notes that this plan could change and more departments could move as well.

“Plans are under way to renovate floors to maximize efficiency by providing a combination of arrangements and shared offices facilities,” said David Dower, assistant vice president of planning and project management, in the press release said.

Construction and renovations on the building are expected to begin in March or April, according to the press release, pending the finalization of the plan in March. All departments scheduled to move to the building will do so over the summer and will operate out of that location by the start of the next academic year.

Since students and faculty will still need to access the building next academic year, a shuttle route will continue to operate to service the location. However, according to Alef Worku, the shuttle operations and maintenance manager, it is unclear what the exact route will be since the routes may be modified due to the opening of the Washington College of Law and East Campus.

AU is currently working with a private transportation specialist to plan or modify shuttle routes for fall. These specialists will conduct a study of AU’s current systems and propose recommendations for routes, stops and schedules, according to Worku.

“We fully expect that the red route will return in some capacity once the Spring Valley Building is occupied,” Worku said in an email. “The study will help us look at metrics to make a sound decision.”

For now, Worku said the current red route shuttle schedule, which went into effect after students protested its abrupt discontinuation, will remain in place with buses operating every 30 minutes between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:15 p.m.

All departments scheduled to move to the Spring Valley Building as of the November 2015 press release are listed below:

• School of Education
  • School of Professional and Extended Studies
  • School of Public Administration Justice Programs, MSOD and KEY Executive Education
  • School of International Service Institute on Disability and Public Policy
  • Kogod School of Business (42nd Street offices)
  • University Registrar
  • Office of Enrollment
  • Sponsored Programs
  • Graduate Studies and Research
  • University Library Archives, Special Collections and Technical Support
  • Information Technology
  • Mailroom
  • Controller, Contracts and Procurement
  • Planning and Project Management
  • Grants Accounting
  • Student Accounts
  • Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
  • International Accelerator Program

ehartleb@theeagleonline.com