Post Secret U

PostSecret Project founder to speak at AU

Mental health advocate Frank Warren will address students on Feb. 22

Mental health advocate and founder of The PostSecret Project Frank Warren will speak at AU on Feb. 22, according to a Kennedy Political Union press release.

Created by Warren in 2004, the PostSecret Project is an effort to collect anonymously mailed cards containing “the soulful secrets we never voice,” according to the release. So far, the project has received over 500,000 postcards, each containing a different confession, ranging from feelings and acts of love and kindness to fear and guilt.

The event, to be held in the MGC University Club at 8:15 p.m., will kick off the start of the project at AU, which will last from Feb. 29 through March 18, according to the release. The project, put on by Student Government, is meant to raise awareness about mental health issues on campus. Warren will address the crowd and then answer students’ questions.

“The Kennedy Political Union and Student Government as a whole understand that bringing speakers to campus is an essential part of the process of bringing light to the issues that matter to American University students,” KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss said. “Warren’s work in the field of mental health advocacy will provide great insight to students looking to improve American University’s resources to address this pressing matter.”

kmagill@theeagleonline.com