Konerth’s heroic goal pushes field hockey past Indiana 4-3

After taking an early 2-0 lead against Indiana University on Sunday, AU’s momentum shifted towards the Hoosiers less than ten minutes into the second half. Indiana scored three goals in a row to take the lead by one just moments before the final whistle. However, the Eagles displayed finesse and strength as senior midfielder Isabel Terwindt scored a miraculous goal to tie the game and send it into overtime. Then, in double overtime, junior forward Natalie Konerth put away the game-winner on a direct penalty corner to lift the Eagles past the Hoosiers (8-9, 4-3).

After junior midfielder Natalie Marsh Konerth opened the game up early with her first collegiate goal in the 12th minute, senior forward Katie Lonsky scored on a shot from in front of the goal to give the Eagles their 2-0 lead. Three separate Hoosiers then scored in succession to put Indiana ahead 3-2.

With time on the clock fully expired in regulation, the Eagles (10-6, 4-1 PL) faced one last chance to tie the game on a corner attempt. Konerth, who earned the assist on the game-tying goal, passed the ball from the top of the circle to the right of the goal for Terwindt, who then tucked away the ball to send the game into overtime.

After Terwindt’s goal, momentum stayed with the Eagles, and they outshot the Hoosiers 6-1 over both overtime periods. However, the team struggled to capitalize on five penalty corner opportunities in nearly the entire duration of overtime. At 87:09, Konerth received the ball on a pass from freshman forward Rafaela Rubas and scored the key goal that secured the victory for AU.

“We knew it [the penalty corner] was available, and at the end of the day, we worked really hard to be able to execute under pressure, and the kids did a great job,” head coach Steve Jennings said.

After giving up leads in the past two losses to Kent State and Rutgers, Jennings said he felt proud that his team refused to give up against Indiana.

“I think it’s really easy to put your head down and get frustrated and believe that the game [is] over, but we just kept fighting,” said Jennings.

The Eagles, ranked second in the Patriot League, will face conference foe Bucknell University, this Saturday Oct. 31 at 12:00 p.m. on Jacobs Field.