Wavves creates cacophony of screaming teens at 9:30 Club

A young crowd filled the 9:30 Club on Oct. 7 for one reason: Wavves, a teen angst-fueled, punk idol band who performed songs off its newest album, “V.”

The band played songs including “Way Too Much” and “Pony,” highlights from “V.” The crowd began to jump and scream as Nathan Williams sang “Too much, I’ve been drinking too much” and “now I’m on the ground.” Williams’ singing seems to almost hesitate between each word and phrase, putting more stress and feeling into each lyric. The nostalgic and defeatist elements of the song “Way Too Much” made the track much more relatable to the crowd of teens at the show wearing Wavves T-shirts, featuring psychedelic hipster cats smoking weed.

The opening act, Twin Peaks, gave an impressive performance of its latest album “Wild Onion” and older tracks such as “Irene.” Fans created mosh pits as Twin Peaks’ played the vivacious tracks, “I Found A New Way” and “Strawberry Smoothie,” from “Wild Onion”.

The concert’s energy peaked during Wavves’ track “No Life for Me.” The track, released this year, is part of the band’s collaborative album with Cloud Nothings, holistically written and produced by both bands in Los Angeles. Crowd surfing became so frequent that the surfers began to look like dolphins as they jumped out of the crowd onto an ocean of hands. As these enthusiastic fans made their way to the front, the scene became ridiculous, with security guards cradling crowd surfers in their arms like babies away to safety.

Instead of an encore the band decided not to leave the stage of the 9:30 Club at all and just continued to play three more tracks. To the delight of all the concert-goers, Wavves started to play its best-loved tracks from the “King Of The Beach” album, “Green Eyes” and “Post Acid”. The manipulated riffs of “Post Acid” moved so fast that the audience could not bang their heads and move their bodies in time.

Wavves’ lived up to expectations and delivered its typical untamable and noisy concert experience.

Listen to Wavves’ newest album “V” on Spotify.

Listen to Twin Peaks’ latest album “Wild Onion” on Spotify.

thescene@theeagelonline.com