BTS Tenleytown

Try Burger, Tap & Shake’s mouth-watering menu items

Growing up in beef-bountiful Texas, I ate hamburgers on a weekly basis. I stopped this habit once I reached high school, and now I hardly eat beef. But everyone needs a burger once in a while, so when the new Burger, Tap & Shake opened in Tenleytown, I decided to indulge in a sandwich.

The store in Tenleytown is only the second BTS opened by owner and chef Jeff Tunks. He started the business with his first restaurant near George Washington University. Since its debut in front of the Tenleytown Metro station last month, BTS rarely has a short line or an empty seat. Families sit on the outdoor patio, enjoying classic American cuisine, and young professionals hover around the bar drinking one of the eight draft ales on tap, discussing politics and plans for later in the night.

As I studied the restaurant’s aesthetic, I noticed a large hand-painted mural of an eagle on the wall. Tunks told me he wanted to add the art piece to show AU students that the folks at BTS appreciate the University. I felt welcomed by his desire to find a niche in the neighborhood.

The overall appearance of the restaurant is both rustic and modern. The wooden tables and bar will make people feel like they traveled to the Wild West, but the steel chairs and barstools deviate from this theme and add a metallic nuance to the design.

BTS’ varied appearance reflects its diverse menu. Although the restaurant serves the everyday hamburger and vanilla milkshake, it also has novelty items, like a salmon burger, a falafel burger and “Shaketails,” milkshakes with a little alcohol for some extra fun. Sadly, because I was born in 1995, I couldn’t legally purchase these delicious-looking milkshakes, so I chose a non-alcoholic option called the “BTS Shake,” made with house-made vanilla ice cream, Butterfinger, Twix and Snickers.

I also ordered a “Southern Comfort,” a beef burger with pimento cheese, fried green tomato, Vidalia Onions and bread and butter pickles. Obviously, I asked for fries to complete the meal. (BTS didn’t charge The Eagle for the meal used for this article. This didn’t affect my review in any way.)

My first bite of the Southern Comfort sent an explosion of flavor into my mouth. I wanted my beef cooked medium-well, and the patty tasted deliciously medium-rare without the redness that freaks me out. Although I found the burger mouth-watering, the fried green tomatoes seemed a little strange, but that’s probably because I wasn’t familiar with the ingredient.

My time with the Southern Comfort was pleasant, but I wish I had went with BTS’ classic “Six Buck Chuck,” the restaurant’s basic burger that only costs $6. The Six Buck Chuck appears less complicated than the sandwich I ordered, and I’ve heard good things about the hamburger’s AP sauce.

BTS' Southern Comfort burger. Photo by: Freddy Rodriguez 

When the fries arrived, I felt disappointed at the size of the order. As I shoved fry after fry into my mouth, I couldn’t stop thinking about the mountain of fries Z-Burger gives its customers. I hope the people at BTS understand that college students love fries and an inadequate amount may drive students to its competitors.

The restaurant’s happy hour specials caught my attention the most. During these ideal happy hour times, customers can enjoy $5 ales and cocktails or mix their favorite spirits with traditional mixers. I think BTS will see a surge of patrons for happy hour, especially because of its close proximity to a college campus. Tunks made a smart business move.

Despite the lackluster fry experience, BTS has wonderful options for all people: beef connoisseurs, vegans, alcohol lovers, etc. Students who want cheap drinks or relatively inexpensive food will fall in love with Tenleytown’s newest establishment. The burger joint satisfies hunger and thirst, and my stomach hadn’t felt so full since I was a chubby seventh grader in Texas.

frodriguez@theeagelonline.com